Rank

Hi,
These are my specs as follows:

i486dx2 80 Mhz on a ZIDA 4DPS rev 2.11 with bios up to 1.71,
8 MB RAM,
6gb HDD on primary master
a 32x CDR on secondary master
S3 Virge DX 4MB

The problem is that i cannot boot my new 486 machine. CMOS already flashed.

More specifically, the pc can post, but after that, when i'm going to boot from a bootable floppy disk, the system alts after the PCI device listing with this message "rimuovere supporti. premere un tasto per riavviare" ( yes, i'm italian, that line sounds like "please remove devices. press any key to reboot"

i've tried to create a bootable floppy disk from a lot of images downloaded here and there yet; the bios boot sequence is already set to "a, c"
tried to use other floppy disks, even blank ones.
thinking of a faulty floppy drive, even swapping it with another two of mine gave me the same result.

It appears that the machine won't see the floppy disks as a bootable device.

So i can't fdisk/format my Hdd nor install any OS...

Any ideas?

Last edited by Kaisersoze on 2022-12-11, 22:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by Kaisersoze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2022-12-11, 20:35:

Is your floppy drive set correctly in the bios?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 8, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't see a HDD listed there either, could be a cable issue.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 5 of 8, by Kaisersoze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2022-12-11, 23:49:

Is your floppy cable twisted or untwisted? What happens if you configure it as drive B: in BIOS?

Twisted. I've tried 2 cables ( the second one is brand new ), but same result.
Set as B: ( and plugged through B connector ) instead of "rimuovere supporti. premere un tasto per riavviare" the message becomes "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter".

It's a strange behaviour, since the floppy drive, even when mounted on the B: connector, during the boot up floppy seek, runs up normally as for the a: connector. So it ain't a problem of cable plugging.

Reply 8 of 8, by Kaisersoze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EUREKAAAAAAAAA!!! FINALLY!!! AH-AH!!
WHAT A DUMBASS!

Here was my HUGE mistake:
when i was injecting my floppies with winimage, i was FORGETTING to use the "write disk" command instead of simply copying and pasting the files from the image to the disk, forgetting the CRUCIAL detail that through this way i was injecting my floppy WITHOUT "instruct" it about the correct sectors necessary to make the floppy bootable finally.

Honestly, what a memorable pita before getting an idea about this...but now i can make my 486 back to action 😁