VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone familiar with these two games by EPYX?

winter-games_1.gif
Filename
winter-games_1.gif
File size
3.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
world-games_1.gif
Filename
world-games_1.gif
File size
4.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

For some reason they won't start on any on my machines. I've tried with a Turbo XT build and an IBM 5160, with an 8088 and a V20, I can't get these games to start. When I launch the .COM file (WINTER.COM or WORLD. COM), all I get is a blinking cursor. I've also tried to launch them from a floppy in case they didn't like being on a HDD, but the same thing happens.

On the other hand, these two games work fine in DOSBOX. A 5160 with CGA is as "XT Compatible" as it gets, so I'm not sure what the problem could be 🤔

If anyone here with an XT machine could try these games and report the results, I'd appreciate the help in getting these games running 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 7, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I recall from playing Winter Games in the late 80's, those are booter games. They're not meant to be called from DOS. You'll probably have to find an image to write on a floppy.

EDIT: Yup, confirmed on Moby, both are in category PC booter. Don't think a standard DOS version was ever released for any of those Epyx games.

Reply 3 of 7, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're correct - I also used to play these two titles as booter games in the '80s on my XT machine. However the versions I have now have files readable in DOS so I assumed they were DOS conversions, but maybe they're not? I've also tried Summer Games II (also from EPYX and from the same era) and it has no issues running on my machines.

I actually didn't know DOSBOX had PC Booter support - I guess I'll hunt for a boot image and see if I have more luck 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 7, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I managed to find a DOS conversion somewhere and I'm pleased to say both games are finally working 👍

Thanks for reminding me about the booter situation, somehow it didn't even cross my mind that it was the problem 😁

Attachments

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote on 2022-12-13, 18:14:

So I managed to find a DOS conversion somewhere and I'm pleased to say both games are finally working 👍

Thanks for reminding me about the booter situation, somehow it didn't even cross my mind that it was the problem 😁

Well, it wasn't that obvious. I knew because I played them.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K