VOGONS

First post, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason on both real hardware and VM whenever you play Land Before Time Activity Center and do the 3D Maze with Cera she controls like a drunk making her impossible to move around as she only moves in a weird diagonal way. No problem on Win98SE but on XP no go. I have Bandicam would like to post a short clip of what I mean in case you don't understand but am unsure how to upload it on here. Should I post a YouTube clip of normal mode?

Steps to produce: Install Activity Center on either real or VM Win XPSP3 and play the maze game. Music and FX works but controls are all over the place.
Expected Behavior: Collect missing objects in order to complete maze and win tree star(s) depending on your difficulty level chosen.

Reply 2 of 6, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

USB or PS/2 peripherals?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 4 of 6, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2022-12-16, 08:23:

USB or PS/2 peripherals?

Huh? I'm using a Dell Latitude 820 XP Laptop to play it on on XP Service Pack 3. I am not sure I can downgrade it to SP2 or 1 though I assume it would produce the same results and I don't know what you mean by USB thingy: Here's what I did to produce the steps to make it playable on the XP laptop via 'cheating' the OS:

I transferred PCEM via GreyPenny drive from my main Windows 10 gaming computer to the XP laptop: I have got PCEM put into the laptop and believe it or not actually plays Land Before Time Activity Center (with an existing copy of Win98SE I transfeered from my main PC) It plays 100 percent but sound is farty despite no FPS lag during gameplay. I almost have it working perfectly that way except the annoying popping noises during sound. I wonder if doing a new Win98 from scratch would fix that as lagging isn't the problem? The game remains at 100 percent only dipping to 99 when talking.

My Laptop's PCEM settings are Socket 7 Pentium 100 with memory set around 200mb and a hard disk of 2000MB. Except a bit of stutter when booting WIn98 it goes back up to 100 percent.

Last edited by Mister98XPee on 2022-12-23, 08:58. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-16, 06:49:

what happens on XP vanilla no service pack or SP1 or 2.

Dell Latitude D820 uses XPSP3. Here is the laptop in mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPnB-10GFYMDell Latitude D820 Review would it be possible to use Windows 2000 on it in a downgraded way? I saw drivers on Dell Latitude's thing as the oldest OS supported for it. As for as a general view of the laptop it plays regular XP racing games quite well so far on everything I threw at it at good settings and no FPS dips so for that it works great. Sim City 3000 however plays much too fast to be useable but the main problem is again Land Before Time Activity Center the laptop's keyboard is all wonky on the Bramble Maze but then again I had the same thing on my main PC's Virtualization of XP where she couldn't be controlled.

Maybe I should try XP (No) Service Pack on Virtual Box first to see if it makes any difference there? I'll do that when I have engergy perhaps after Christmas as we may lose power if we get the freezing rain though so far it's all sleet and now some snow. Just got over a long sore throat that made me tired a lot.

Again I wonder if I should someday delete Win XP on the laptop and reinstall the preactivated one that seems pretty stable?
On Virtualbox 6.0 (which seems the best Virtualbox) I use a PreActivated one so I can test it quickly without BSing since I don't use it for anything serious except visiting my old childhood educational games and driving games 😒

Reply 6 of 6, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some people on this video here says on Windows ME to set it to 16 colors to do the Maze game correctly: 256 makes it all wonky like I experienced: I wonder if it's the same on XP? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9D-p9Jzfic