VOGONS

First post, by KingThistle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster.

Building a retro box. Going back and forth on storage. I have an old PATA drive and a very modern sort of last of the PATA drives. Both slow compared to solid state. So far using a CF adapter everything is solid and working, but I have a pile is 60ish gig SSDs and a new SIL3114 card.

I reflashed the 3114 into IDE mode, but windows 98 install just sticks at the first screen after reboot when discovering hardware.

The SSD in Win2k was about 3x quicker than the CF card, only using a x366 CF but have ordered a x1066 to see if that is the bottleneck.

What are your thoughts / advice.

System:
ABIT BE6-II V1 latest bios
Slot 1 Pentium III 1000 (133)
GeForce 2 MX400
256 PC133
DVD
DVD RW
SB0100
Netgear GA311

Reply 1 of 6, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd say use an SSD over a CF card since they're faster and cheaper than CF cards.

Also, if more than 128GB then use rloew's TBPLUS - https://rloewelectronics.com/distribute/TBPLUS/3.0/

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 2 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience with SiL 3114 cards is that they don't work with most of the motherboards I've tried using them with. They seem to be resource hogs, so your best chance for making one work is to disable everything that you aren't using - serial, parallel, IDE ports - disable everything you can, and maybe it will work. Also try different PCI slots. I do have two AT motherboards that work fine with them; one is a TXP4 the other is a PCChips M520.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 6, by Dorunkāku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use DeLock branded SiI3114 cards with the IDE bios supplied on the driver CD for all my systems ranging from socket 5 to socket 478. The only board that it didnt work on is a Dell Pentium Pro board without onboard IDE.

Try disabling the HPT366 controller in the BIOS and removing the network card.
Try moving the SiI3114 card to another PCI slot.
Use ''EXT'' as your first boot option.

And its Sii3114 not SIL3114.

Reply 4 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dorunkāku wrote on 2022-12-30, 19:54:
I use DeLock branded SiI3114 cards with the IDE bios supplied on the driver CD for all my systems ranging from socket 5 to socke […]
Show full quote

I use DeLock branded SiI3114 cards with the IDE bios supplied on the driver CD for all my systems ranging from socket 5 to socket 478. The only board that it didnt work on is a Dell Pentium Pro board without onboard IDE.

Try disabling the HPT366 controller in the BIOS and removing the network card.
Try moving the SiI3114 card to another PCI slot.
Use ''EXT'' as your first boot option.

And its Sii3114 not SIL3114.

Do you know if the BIOS you are using is the same as the one from this thread? This is what I've used, and it does work with some motherboards, but I've had far more success with Promise IDE and SAT PCI cards. I'd be happy to try something different if it would work with more motherboards. Re: SIL3114 sata card, need ide firmware.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 6, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

those sli cards aren't very good for old pcs

if u can get a PROMISE SATA 150 TX2 or the maxtor rebranded version those work great with basically everything and even have official windows 98 drivers offered by promise on there website under legacy drivers.

Reply 6 of 6, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is similar to my system.
But I have installed an ISA Sound Blaster and perhaps a better (passive cooled) graphics card with DVI output and 512 MB RAM.
I use a SATA to PATA adapter in a similar system with an 128 GB SSD.

The DVI output is useful to connect the graphics card with a passive DVI to HDMI adapter to a modern monitor or TV.