VOGONS

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

t2_009.png

Hi! someone have any trick to make this game working? in dosbox works great, in DOS is impossible!!!!

I tested in 3 machines

386SX40 4MB ram DOS 6.22 FAT16
486DX2/66 24MB ram DOS7 FAT32
Celeron mendocino 333mhz 64MB ram DOS/7 FAT32

Like the readme say, only need this in config.sys

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH
STACKS=9,256
FILES=10

and in autoexec mouse driver

thats all i do, the game start, but after enter protection codes, game crash. I tested with EMM386, QEMM and JEMM same problem

I found a cracked version, work fine in DOSbox too, crash in real DOS

Im out of ideas, any is welcome!! i buy the original game, and I really want to make it work... jaja

thanks!

Reply 2 of 7, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2023-01-04, 00:39:

Looking at readme file... Do you have a mouse driver loaded?

hi, yes, like i say in autoexec

i tested nothing, ctmouse ps/2 , and microsoft mouse using serial in 386

But the game did not need mouse, in options is possible to select just keyboard

Is a shit port.. but for sure back in 90s the game work for someone...

Reply 4 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps the tweaking guide from oldskool.org could help.

An excerpt:

Too light; Too heavy […]
Show full quote

Too light; Too heavy

Here's another "gotcha" old programs love to spring on you: Too little free DOS RAM (or too much--yes, too much free RAM. I'll get to that in a minute.) You all know the drill, so I'll only describe it in passing: A program requires 585K of free DOS RAM, but you only have 520K free. You can run MEMMAKER.EXE to free up some RAM in DOS 6.x, load your DOS kernel high in 5.x or later, or simply unload your memory-resident programs in 4.x and lower. Or, you can purchase a real memory manager like QEMM and let it handle the dirty work. Voila: more of your precious DOS RAM below 640K is free. Program runs. Since the task of freeing up DOS RAM has been told a thousand times before, I won't go into it.

But did you know that you can actually have too much free RAM? Honest! As late as 1990, games assumed that the maximum free RAM possible was around 585K free. After DOS 5.0, however, free RAM of 615K or higher was not uncommon. As a result, some programs' internal "free RAM counter" wraps around and you get a bogus error message. Take, for example, California Game, written by Epyx in 1988; if you have a reasonable amount of free RAM, you get this message when the game starts:

560 kB free CALIFORNIA GAMES version 1.01 2/23/88

You've got 145K RAM more than you need, Dude.
That's gnarly!

However, if you have too much free RAM, you get this:

618 kB free YOU NEED MORE RAM TO RUN CALIFORNIA GAMES!

You are 183K RAM short of having enough memory.
You need to buy more memory or remove
any memory resident programs, Dude!

Apparently T2: The Arcade Game has this problem besides refusing to work with UMB available (which is mentioned in the link).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 7, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! thanks for help

i found the problem, first yes, the game always do the not enough memory error if in config.sys there is the line DOS=UMB, only need to be DOS=HIGH

But about my problem, the game NEED to be in first 512mb parttion, and is incompatible with EZdrive overlay or any overlay, and is incompaible if HDD is in LBA mode

I made it work in 386 using a old 512mb hard disk, in 486 just using a floppy drive, skip EZ drive, and put game in first partition, and in Celeron, i boot a 128MB CF card in CHS mode, and game work

My god... is a INCREDIBLE BAD PORT, memory problems, HDD problems... terrible

Reply 6 of 7, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had success with some old games by creating a separate FAT16 partition and running them from there. Whether or not the drive is in LBA mode hasn't effected any games I have tried. Works even if the primary partition is much larger. I think I reserved like 10mb or something.