VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

does anybody else find this software very unstable? 98se should be very period appropriate for this (feb 2000 release date), but it has always produced inexplicable bluescreens for me on many (but not all) setups. the tool claims to bypass the file system by using a kernel mode vxd for best accuracy.

there is a 2.70 version of this as well but i've seen claims that it produces less reliable results than 2.61, for instance here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/hd-cpu-u … age-20.1312110/ now i've never had any issue with the last 3.x version, but it's NT only.

Reply 1 of 4, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2023-01-06, 06:03:

does anybody else find this software very unstable? 98se should be very period appropriate for this (feb 2000 release date), but it has always produced inexplicable bluescreens for me on many (but not all) setups. the tool claims to bypass the file system by using a kernel mode vxd for best accuracy.

there is a 2.70 version of this as well but i've seen claims that it produces less reliable results than 2.61, for instance here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/hd-cpu-u … age-20.1312110/ now i've never had any issue with the last 3.x version, but it's NT only.

I've never experienced any crashes using it. HDTach 2.61 is always rock solid for me.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 2 of 4, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have tested 2.60 and it shows the exact same problem, a bluescreen upon the initial testing, then another one when it starts plotting that graph in the end. both bluescreens can be exited but the program aborts and leaves the mouse broken until the PC is reset. disabling DMA made no difference either. i was trying to test a fujitsu m1624tau from 1996, maybe there is something the program doesn't like about older drives.

Reply 3 of 4, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2023-01-07, 05:51:

i was trying to test a fujitsu m1624tau from 1996, maybe there is something the program doesn't like about older drives.

IMO, something is wrong with your operating system or RAM or something else. I remember that back in 2000 I tested my Seagate 1.7GB UDMA33 using this version to see if the DMA was really working.

P.S. I've just googled the piece of advice to uncheck "Advanced size check". Maybe it'll help.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 4 of 4, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i did think of the RAM as well and did 1 pass of memtest86, also this is a fresh 98se install with really nothing changed on it.

advanced size check off didn't work before either, but just tried it again and the only difference is there is just one bluescreen instead of two.