VOGONS

First post, by Griff3125

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get the 3DFX version of Mechwarrior 2 working on my Voodoo 3 3ooo, so far - no luck.
I'm running Windows 98SE, PIII, V3 3000.
I've followed all the now defunct guides, older versions of glides, modifying the bat files.
At best I've gotten to the launch screen but it crashes when trying to start a mission.
If you've gotten this working on the Voodoo 3, I'd really appreciate some pointers.
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

The game seems to be one of these earlier ones that used the older GLIDE.DLL and SST1INIT.DLL files which were designed for the Voodoo Graphics card. Nearly all of the workarounds using batches and environment variables were mainly for the Voodoo2, and chances that it can work with the Voodoo3 are between very low to zero. 🙁

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 4, by Griff3125

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I figured as much, I was hoping that somebody had found a miracle hack.
Not a biggie, the software version is still mint, and the Titanium is...erm.....interesting.
Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not overlooking anything.
Cheers.

Reply 3 of 4, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got the 3Dfx OEM edition to crash before mission. The Titanium 3Dfx mode worked fine though on my V3 3K. I recall installing the latest driver that I got on Phil's website.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 4, by Griff3125

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same here, the 3Dfx version crashes right at the mission start, I don't think there's any way around that, a shame as I'd love to play that version again.
The Titanium version works fine, but it's still the ill fated Titanium version, glitches, no wireframe mode, sadly an unfinished project that was released too soon.