VOGONS

First post, by helkaluin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I hope I've opened this thread in the appropriate sub-forum. If not, please do let me know where should I go instead.

Long story short: A bunch of us folks are trying to preserve Cookie's Bustle (1999), an obscure Japanese point-and-click adventure game written in Macromedia Director that recently became found after being lost for years. The game and all its related media is currently under a copyright troll's fraudulent claims and are deleted left and right.

We're in the very early stages of attempting a fan-translation/subtitling the dialogue and upscaling the in-game videos, both of which require us to encode videos to the format in the original game. Using mediainfo tells us the following information:

General Complete name : rodik.mov Format : QuickTime Format/Info […]
Show full quote

General
Complete name : rodik.mov
Format : QuickTime
Format/Info : Original Apple specifications
Format settings : Compressed header
File size : 1.97 MiB
Duration : 21 s 33 ms
Overall bit rate : 785 kb/s
Movie name : Cookie's Bustle(R) "Mysterious Bombo World"
Movie_More : http://www.rodik.com/
Encoded date : UTC 1999-11-17 13:26:27
Tagged date : UTC 1999-11-17 13:26:28
Writing library : Apple QuickTime
Copyright : (c)1999 RODIK, INC. All rights reserved.

Video
ID : 1
Format : Sorenson 1
Codec ID : SVQ1
Codec ID/Info : Sorenson Media Video 1 (Apple QuickTime 3)
Duration : 21 s 33 ms
Source duration : 20 s 633 ms
Source_Duration_LastFrame : -33 ms
Bit rate : 569 kb/s
Width : 360 pixels
Height : 270 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 15.000 FPS
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.390
Stream size : 1.43 MiB (73%)
Source stream size : 1.51 MiB (76%)
Title : Apple ÉrÉfÉIÅEÉÅÉfÉBÉAÉnÉìÉhÉâ / Apple ÉGÉCÉäÉAÉXÅEÉfÅ[É^ÉnÉìÉhÉâ
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 1999-11-17 13:19:09

Audio
ID : 2
Format : ADPCM
Format settings : IMA
Codec ID : ima4
Duration : 21 s 30 ms
Source duration : 20 s 631 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 176.4 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 22.05 kHz
Stream size : 453 KiB (22%)
Source stream size : 444 KiB (22%)
Title : Apple ÉTÉEÉìÉhÅEÉÅÉfÉBÉAÉnÉìÉhÉâ / Apple ÉGÉCÉäÉAÉXÅEÉfÅ[É^ÉnÉìÉhÉâ
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 1999-11-17 13:19:09

The video and audio codecs should be easily satisfied, with the ffmpeg flags

-c:v svq1 -c:a adpcm_ima_qt

, but we're currently stumped by the fact that ffmpeg interprets the .mov container as the post-MPEG4 version of .mov.

The resulting file from ffmpeg would have this as its container information:

General Complete name : rodik-ffmpeg.mov Format : MPEG-4 Format pro […]
Show full quote

General
Complete name : rodik-ffmpeg.mov
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt 0000.02 (qt )
File size : 3.39 MiB
Duration : 21 s 67 ms
Overall bit rate : 1 350 kb/s
Movie name : Cookie's Bustle(R) "Mysterious Bombo World"
Movie_More : http://www.rodik.com/
Writing application : Lavf58.76.100
Copyright : (c)1999 RODIK, INC. All rights reserved.
Comment : http://www.rodik.com/

Which, of course, fails to play on QuickTime 4, which this game uses.

So the question is: does anybody here know of a way to mux a .mov file that QuickTime 4 could read? Is there a flag for ffmpeg that tells it to use a .mov container that is pre-MPEG4? Or do we have to dig out a copy of the old QuickTime encoder somewhere?

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there. Not sure about QTW 4, but can't you use QT 2.x videos, as well ?

From "The Quick Time FAQ" (0.45, 1995):

"Cross Platform Shoes - Converting movies

Macintosh
To convert AVI movies to QuickTime (or vice versa), you’ll want to get a copy of
Microsoft’s Video for Windows Converter.
You can also get it from Microsoft’s WINMM CompuServe forum (), from
the book Desktop Video Studio (see QUICKTIME RESOURCES: PRINT), and from Microsoft’s
free VFW Jumpstart CD (if you don’t mind waiting six weeks) — send email to.

Windows
For PC users that want to convert digital video files between QuickTime and AVI
formats, Intel has a converter called SmartVid that runs under Windows (for ease of use)
and DOS (for easy batch processing).
Another Windows-based QuickTime/AVI converter is TRMOOV.EXE, created by The
San Francisco Canyon Company.
This utility is also available on the CD-ROM included with the book How to Digitize
video (see QUICKTIME RESOURCES: PRINT), and as a sample application with The Canyon
Movie Toolkit, a C++ class library for developers working with desktop video. (Both of
these products may be ordered from Canyon directly at 415.398.9957.)
Adobe’s Premiere for Windows will also allow you to convert between AVI and
QuickTime formats."

It goes on..

"QuickTime & MPEG

Converting an MPEG movie to a QuickTime movie
If you have MPEG playback hardware…
If you have MPEG playback hardware, QuickTime can convert standard MPEG bitstream
files to QuickTime MPEG movies.
Here’s list of requirements that MPEG bitstream files must meet in order for QuickTime
to convert them:
• QuickTime must be able to recognize the file. For this to happen, one of two
conditions must be satisfied — either the file must be of type and have a file
name with a suffix of , or the file must be of type and reside on a CD-ROM.
• The file must contain an unbroken, legal, byte-aligned MPEG-1 systems bitstream.
• The bitstream must begin within the first few kilobytes of the file, and must begin
with a video packet.
• The first video packet must begin with a sequence header, which must not change
within that bitstream.
• The bitstream must extend to the end of the file.
NOTE If the files have been created for Sigma’s ReelMagic board, they’re encrypted
and are not regular MPEG files. So they won’t work."

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by helkaluin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-02-04, 05:46:
Hi there. Not sure about QTW 4, but can't you use QT 2.x videos, as well ? […]
Show full quote

Hi there. Not sure about QTW 4, but can't you use QT 2.x videos, as well ?

From "The Quick Time FAQ" (0.45, 1995):

"Cross Platform Shoes - Converting movies

Macintosh
To convert AVI movies to QuickTime (or vice versa), you’ll want to get a copy of
Microsoft’s Video for Windows Converter.
You can also get it from Microsoft’s WINMM CompuServe forum (), from
the book Desktop Video Studio (see QUICKTIME RESOURCES: PRINT), and from Microsoft’s
free VFW Jumpstart CD (if you don’t mind waiting six weeks) — send email to.

Windows
For PC users that want to convert digital video files between QuickTime and AVI
formats, Intel has a converter called SmartVid that runs under Windows (for ease of use)
and DOS (for easy batch processing).
Another Windows-based QuickTime/AVI converter is TRMOOV.EXE, created by The
San Francisco Canyon Company.
This utility is also available on the CD-ROM included with the book How to Digitize
video (see QUICKTIME RESOURCES: PRINT), and as a sample application with The Canyon
Movie Toolkit, a C++ class library for developers working with desktop video. (Both of
these products may be ordered from Canyon directly at 415.398.9957.)
Adobe’s Premiere for Windows will also allow you to convert between AVI and
QuickTime formats."

It goes on..

"QuickTime & MPEG

Converting an MPEG movie to a QuickTime movie
If you have MPEG playback hardware…
If you have MPEG playback hardware, QuickTime can convert standard MPEG bitstream
files to QuickTime MPEG movies.
Here’s list of requirements that MPEG bitstream files must meet in order for QuickTime
to convert them:
• QuickTime must be able to recognize the file. For this to happen, one of two
conditions must be satisfied — either the file must be of type and have a file
name with a suffix of , or the file must be of type and reside on a CD-ROM.
• The file must contain an unbroken, legal, byte-aligned MPEG-1 systems bitstream.
• The bitstream must begin within the first few kilobytes of the file, and must begin
with a video packet.
• The first video packet must begin with a sequence header, which must not change
within that bitstream.
• The bitstream must extend to the end of the file.
NOTE If the files have been created for Sigma’s ReelMagic board, they’re encrypted
and are not regular MPEG files. So they won’t work."

Heya, thanks for the instructions. Sadly SmartVid and TRMOOV both just change the container between AVI and MOV, and since Sorenson won't work in AVI, I can't use those two to make a MOV with Sorenson video streams.

Reply 3 of 9, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does Director use the installed QuickTime runtime, or does it reimplement things itself? If it's the former you could try carefully upgrading to later versions of QT, hopefully bringing in new features - Wikipedia says 5.x brought MPEG-1 support, which I'd think should be easier to handle than Sorenson.

Also - what's stopping you from using the same old QuickTime version that the game's based on to reencode stuff? Export to a very large, un-/barely compressed format file after subtitling, then crush it down to final size/format in a VM. Not the smoothest workflow, maybe, and pretty much impossible to automate, but it's only 24 videos so not too bad.

Reply 4 of 9, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
helkaluin wrote on 2023-02-15, 05:19:

Heya, thanks for the instructions. Sadly SmartVid and TRMOOV both just change the container between AVI and MOV, and since Sorenson won't work in AVI, I can't use those two to make a MOV with Sorenson video streams.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put sorenson into an AVI. I just tried it with ffmpeg and it made a file which worked in VLC. I made a couple of attempts to convert from that to MOV using TRMOOV. It seems to freeze at the end with MP3 audio but succeeds with uncompressed PCM audio. Then VLC claims it can't playback flv1 video even though it played it back fine when it was in the AVI so who knows.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 5 of 9, by helkaluin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakemono wrote on 2023-02-15, 18:13:
helkaluin wrote on 2023-02-15, 05:19:

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put sorenson into an AVI. I just tried it with ffmpeg and it made a file which worked in VLC. I made a couple of attempts to convert from that to MOV using TRMOOV. It seems to freeze at the end with MP3 audio but succeeds with uncompressed PCM audio. Then VLC claims it can't playback flv1 video even though it played it back fine when it was in the AVI so who knows.

The problem is to make stuff that is playable with old Quicktime 4, not modern VLC.

Reply 6 of 9, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
helkaluin wrote on 2023-02-18, 05:37:

The problem is to make stuff that is playable with old Quicktime 4, not modern VLC.

I understand that, but I am questioning your claim that "Sorenson won't work in AVI" because FFMPEG can definitely make an AVI that contains svq or flv1 (which are both called "Sorenson" in the documentation at least). If you then use TRMOOV to convert from AVI to MOV, do you not have something that will play in quicktime?

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 7 of 9, by helkaluin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakemono wrote on 2023-02-18, 11:15:
helkaluin wrote on 2023-02-18, 05:37:

I understand that, but I am questioning your claim that "Sorenson won't work in AVI" because FFMPEG can definitely make an AVI that contains svq or flv1 (which are both called "Sorenson" in the documentation at least). If you then use TRMOOV to convert from AVI to MOV, do you not have something that will play in quicktime?

Oh! That's my bad --- it's the ADPCM that ffmpeg doesn't like putting into an AVI. SVQ1 is fine, technically, but somehow when I play it with Quicktime 4 it just shows a white video...

In the end I just gave up and fed a -c:v rawvideo -c:a pcm_s16le AVI to Quicktime Pro 4 and encoded with Quicktime itself. Less headache than figuring out how to coax modern ffmpeg into spitting something old Qt can read. 🙈

Reply 8 of 9, by helkaluin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2023-02-15, 13:28:

Does Director use the installed QuickTime runtime, or does it reimplement things itself? If it's the former you could try carefully upgrading to later versions of QT, hopefully bringing in new features - Wikipedia says 5.x brought MPEG-1 support, which I'd think should be easier to handle than Sorenson.

Also - what's stopping you from using the same old QuickTime version that the game's based on to reencode stuff? Export to a very large, un-/barely compressed format file after subtitling, then crush it down to final size/format in a VM. Not the smoothest workflow, maybe, and pretty much impossible to automate, but it's only 24 videos so not too bad.

It does use the Quicktime runtime, and so the game does run with Quicktime 6 instead of 4, but in-game it sill refuses to play MPEG-4 videos, which Qt 6 supports by itself.

At the end I just fed a rawvideo/PCM AVI to Quicktime 4 itself and encoded there, as you suggested 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by Nix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but you seem to be the only one who could possibly help me. I've been considering for the longest time to start my own translation project featuring a different japanese game that is also made in Director 6, but I have no clue what tools should I use to extract the text. Would you be so kind as to give me a few pointers?