VOGONS

First post, by king_boris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm having a bit of a strange issue getting MIDI playback in Tyrian. All other games I've tried so far work at 330 MIDI with no issue (Duke, Doom, Blood, TIM)

I launch these games directly from WIN98 and have no issue other than Tyrian.

While it will let me Selecting anything other than 330 MIDI will completely lock up PC within Tyrian SETUP.EXE; selecting 330 does not lock up device, but nothing can be heard.

I can use the AWE option and it will work, but would like to try play through MIDI. I have a 28MB Soundfont loaded through the AWE Setup program in win.

Computer Specs:
P166
128MB
i430vx
AWE64
Win98SE

Reply 1 of 5, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using WDM drivers? I had to switch to VXD to resolve my issues with running DOS games, especially Tyrian, under Windows 98. Look at your sound card under device manager and make sure it doesn't say WDM next to it.

Reply 2 of 5, by king_boris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
9646gt wrote on 2023-02-03, 12:50:

Are you using WDM drivers? I had to switch to VXD to resolve my issues with running DOS games, especially Tyrian, under Windows 98. Look at your sound card under device manager and make sure it doesn't say WDM next to it.

Hello, I just looked and the AWE drivers are VXD, not sure what else to looks for.

It's weird it works in every game I've tried except Tyrian. I may end up trying more recent drivers.; just actually tried this and the issue persists. Drivers were from 97 updated them to latest ones on creatives website.

Reply 3 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It has something to do with the native SB16 AWE option (which sounds nice on Tyrian). Try setting FM Sound (it sounds nice too 😁), exit the setup, then enter it again and select MIDI 330h.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 5, by king_boris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-02-04, 17:51:

It has something to do with the native SB16 AWE option (which sounds nice on Tyrian). Try setting FM Sound (it sounds nice too 😁), exit the setup, then enter it again and select MIDI 330h.

This worked!

Yeah I like to play around how it'll sound with different fonts. I grew up with the FM Sound Option on our first home PC only, so it is burned into my brain already. I was lucky enough to have played with the AWE option on another friends computer long time ago.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply 5 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
king_boris wrote on 2023-02-04, 22:42:
This worked! […]
Show full quote
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-02-04, 17:51:

This worked!

Yeah I like to play around how it'll sound with different fonts. I grew up with the FM Sound Option on our first home PC only, so it is burned into my brain already. I was lucky enough to have played with the AWE option on another friends computer long time ago.

Thanks for the suggestion!

You're welcome! 😀

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS