VOGONS

First post, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an IBM Thinkpad 380z that's finally up and running (PII, Windows 98), and there's a few games I own via GOG that I was trying to get running: The Dig, Gabriel Knight 1.

Unlike some of the GOG games that have an easy bin/cue or game.dat type setup that makes CD-creation easy, these two don't seem to be as obvious.

Anybody ever get these games running on old hardware from a GOG backup install type scenario? Trying to save some cash vs buying the originals on eBay...

Reply 1 of 2, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like both games are powered by ScummVM in their GOG editions. I don't know of any way to run the original versions of those games from the GOG copy. I had the same problem with I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It does look like a Win98 version of ScummVM can be acquired and/or compiled yourself? Can't speak to it's performance though.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 2 of 2, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah thanks for the shout - good thoughts - I was trying to get them to run natively just for kicks. In both cases, the files that go on the hard drive are the easy part, then it comes to when the game looks to the D:\ drive for the game CD. I think it depends how aggressively it looks for the correct CD volume name or other checks - going to experiment with just putting all the files on a CD and giving it what should be the correct volume name if I can figure it out...

Some other GOG games like Tie Fighter, I think, have much easier bin/cue or game.dat bits in the GOG install that let you create the CD easily...