VOGONS

First post, by Xmodule999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With DosBox all is OK. How to correctly run DOOM 2 on DOS?
When started from floppy there are two options to select (CD mode) that there is game crash like this - Error 35 General Protection Fault. And there is (No CD mode), the game works as it should be, is not possible to return to DOS command prompt because the indicator blinking.

When started from hard drive there is the same bug like floppy and CD mode.

EDIT: With DOS image created in Windows XP this works, but I didn't rather expect it.

Last edited by Xmodule999 on 2023-02-04, 09:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ignoring the extreme oddity of your CD-version-on-floppies ... I never even knew Doom had a "CD mode". Turns out it does; it seems to only affect the save data location (and change out a single in-game graphic). You do have a C: drive mounted for it to use, yes? In any case, the engine would still expect to be able to load the entire IWAD at once - which has no chance of happening on a single floppy. If you can find an option to install - not start, not configure - the game then do that instead.

Reply 4 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
theelf wrote on 2023-02-04, 11:08:

this thread is a WTF ????

Indeed, the original DOS version of DOOM never required a CD or floppy disk to play if the all the files are on the C drive or HDD. Also, the IWAD wouldn't fit on a single floppy disk.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried Doom2 CD mode when I first got it. on a DX2/66 and 2x CD drive it didn't last long.

The CD version pretty much the floppy version. The dat files are still split into 3 chunks that would have originally been the 3 disks but as setup can find the file it just carries on with the deice install rather then prompting for the next disk.
CD version also has a copy of doom installed on the CD so to speak which is how cd mode works.

Easiest way is just run install off the CD which will install to the hard drive. if this works in XP just copy that folder to the dos PC. Doom is self contained so it wont know/care if you copy the folder somewhere else.