VOGONS

First post, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, somewhere along the way, I unknowingly installed something (VoyMedia? Whatever that is?) that took over associations for just about every multimedia file type, including, it seems, CD autorun, even for CD-ROMs. I've restored most of these from another relatively fresh W98 installation by backing up the relevant registry entry, including other CD media like audio CDs, but CD-ROM autorun still doesn't seem to be working, and I can't seem to find a similarly clear association entry for CD-ROM autorun in the file types list, nor in the registry.

How can I restore the association so that my CDs will autorun again?
I need to know either the right listing in the file types settings, the right entry(/ies) in the registry, or perhaps another specific way to reset only this part.
I'd rather not do a whole fresh Windows reinstall just for this, ideally; I'm quite set up with a lot of customisation and games installed that would take a long time to reinstall and reconfigure.

(And just to stave off the obvious question, yes, "Auto-insert notification" is ticked in the Device Manager properties for this CD/DVD drive).

Reply 1 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TweakUI had an option to enable/disable this (below website even includes it in a screenshot)
https://www.oldergeeks.com/downloads/file.php … d%20much%20more.

Reply 2 of 5, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there no registry entry I can copy over or something? I'd rather do that, since I don't really see myself needing anything else out of this extra software. I appreciate the recommendation though.

Reply 3 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On Device Manager when checking the properties of a CD drive, there is an option to toggle Autorun which is called "Auto insert notification" and it is located in Settings tab.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TweakUI is only a few kb and official (if unsupported) MS product if that worries you. Personally I install it on all my XP and below PC's as it has a few nice settings.
That said it is just a nice GUI to change registry settings and can respect the minimalist approach with installing stuff.

Quick google found this?
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000130.htm