VOGONS

First post, by Haki26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have seen and read on the internet that dx9 on windows 98 can corrupt the "agp texture acceleration" making it unavailable.
But at what percentage does this happen? How many combinations of win98, motherboard chipset, video card model, agp driver and video card driver does this happen?
In my case:

Asus K8v-mx (via chipset) + radeon 8500 + dx9 = Cannot be activated

Asus K8s-mx (sis chipset) + radeon 9600 + dx9 = Cannot be activated

Asus K8s-mx (sis chipset) + mx440-8x + dx9 = Cannot be activated

I tried with different agp drivers, different video card drivers, I also tried on winME, but it doesn't solve.
With these configurations and the dx7 installed the "agp texture acceleration" is activated.
With how many of your configurations have you encountered the agp problem with the dx9?

Reply 1 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're probably experiencing this issue.

It's not caused by DX9, but by a BIOS bug. For the K8V-MX, downgrade the BIOS to v0112 and the problem will be resolved. Similarly, try the oldest possible BIOS versions for the other boards as well.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 5, by Haki26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-02-23, 16:08:

how do i find this 'agp texture acceleration' under win98se? i have a radeon 9800se with the last available ver of directx 9, official ati drivers and rivatuner installed.

In start --> run
Type the command "dxdiag" and go to the tab where there is the test of direct draw, direct3d and agp texture acceleration. See if all three are active

Last edited by Haki26 on 2023-02-23, 20:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by Haki26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-02-23, 15:04:

You're probably experiencing this issue.

It's not caused by DX9, but by a BIOS bug. For the K8V-MX, downgrade the BIOS to v0112 and the problem will be resolved. Similarly, try the oldest possible BIOS versions for the other boards as well.

Thanks, I'll check if it's the bios issue

Reply 5 of 5, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember back then it was also disabled on my PC with most of the drivers. With some later graphics drivers, it got enabled. For me, there was no notable difference in real world performance.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html