VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made some really simple and short games in Adventure Maker back in 2000-2001, and it has been over 20 years since I've seen my first game actually running. I actually submitted it as a school project and blew my 8th grade teacher's mind back then because they didn't know kids could just download a program, draw some pictures, borrow some sound effects from some games and then create a game of their own. 🤣

I have a copy of Adventure Maker 2.7 beta 4 with a file date of April 2001, but when I last tried to load my game in that version it was broken and missing all of the interaction hot spots.

I managed to find a text file containing my registration email, with a file date of May 2000. In that file, it mentions the "new" version being 2.05, so it's very likely that that is the version I started with.

Somehow in all these years it never occurred to me that a slightly older version of the program may work properly with my game. I had always assumed that I'd broken it at some point by opening it with the wrong version... which may still be the case, and would be sad, but realistically it was a point and click adventure game with like 10 scenes. Not much to it, and I still have all the graphics and sound effects, just not the game itself.

If anyone can find any older versions of Adventure Maker that predate 2.7 beta 4, it would be worth a shot. Based on the other file names there's a good chance that version 2.05 would be called am205.exe, but I found nothing when searching for that online.

As a hilarious side note, a later game I made with Adventure Maker and actually built an installer for in 2001 installs just fine and works perfectly in Windows 10 (aside from midi playback, which would have worked if I'd hooked up my Roland UM-One). How's that for compatibility? It didn't even need any weird old runtimes installed.

EDIT: This is the oldest archived page I can find for their website, and it refers to version 2.7 as being "old". Yet I purchased and started using the program long before that was released.
https://web.archive.org/web/20021004203103/ht … m/downloads.htm
I guess, 2.7 is technically older than 2.7 beta 4, so I guess I can try it, but as far as I can tell the program was massively revamped with 2.7, to the point that no previous versions are referred to on the website at all.

... I also just realized their forums are still up and running. Wow. Maybe I should ask there. 😮 Scratch that. Signups are disabled due to forum problems, so I can't ask there unless I can just email someone.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 5, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can recommend my game engine instead, you can find it in my signature. Its free, and can approx do the same thing compared what you want.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 2 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Geri wrote on 2023-02-28, 14:33:

I can recommend my game engine instead, you can find it in my signature. Its free, and can approx do the same thing compared what you want.

Huh?

What I want is to have my old game work. I don't want to make it again...

Reply 4 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Geri wrote on 2023-02-28, 20:46:

i know, but by this time you invested into searching that, you could have ported it already.

Can your program import old Adventure Maker data from a 23 year old version of AM and convert it to a new format\language without any loss of functionality? If so, that's incredible and I will try it out.

If by "porting" you mean "make the game again in a new program", that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm not interested in seeing what I can make now. I'm interested in seeing the game I made when I was a kid.

If I wanted to just make it again from scratch I would load any other version of Adventure Maker and just try to make the game again with the original assets... but I don't remember how it all went together, and I would have to learn how to do all of this again which would take significantly more time than just keeping my eyes open for (or asking people on the internet for) an old version of a program.

As mentioned, I haven't spent a ton of time scouring the internet for old versions. I just realized a couple days ago that the loss of game data I experienced could just be related to mismatched versions of the program. Or, it could all be gone... I won't know unless I find an older version of the program to try it.

EDIT: Anyway, after digging through the data files for the old project and comparing them to ones that work it looks like it is missing basically everything but the assets, so I think it's toast. It won't matter what version I have unless I can also find an older copy of this stuff that has somehow survived all these years on a disk somewhere, but that is pretty doubtful. I don't even know how I got it onto the computer at school because it is almost 6MB zipped, and I don't think we had a CD burner at that point in time.