VOGONS

First post, by original_meusli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am trying to get this game working on a Pentium 3 machine with a Voodoo 3 / Aureal MX300 Monster soundcard and it crashes on startup.

The first time I loaded it up I got to the menu but the video it plays while idle was garbled colours. I did not have my sound turned on at the time so whilst busy sorting that I had a crash to desktop. Since then it starts up, I hear a blip of sound, I am straight back on the desktop with no error message.

Anyone have any clue?

Last edited by original_meusli on 2023-03-13, 09:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which executable are you running? The NFS2SEN.EXE (the last "N" is for non-accelerated) version is software, non-accelerated, and it is installed by default. The Glide version is still on left on the CD and you must copy it manually to the installation directory: NFS2SEA.EXE (the "A" is for accelerated). NFS2SEA.EXE should work fine with your Voodoo3.

Reply 3 of 7, by original_meusli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This1 is the non Glide version of the game, did not realise that you had to dump the executable in the folder to activate Glide. Now after doing that I get an error message, see below.

I am about to take the Aureal soundcard out of the machine and replace it with an Audigy 2 and change the 3DFX driver from the Voodoolizer to the Amigamerlin version to see what happens. I think I may have two issues here.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 7, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 3rd party drivers like Amiga Merlin might be helpful for extreme tweaking and performance goals, but otherwise reference drivers are going to get you the best performance and reliability.

I suggest:

Uninstall all Voodoo drivers.
Install the default VGA PCI Adapter driver.
Reboot.
You should have 16 color, 640x480 display now.
Make sure you have DirectX 7.0a installed.
Install 3dfx driver 1.07.00. Get it here: https://soggi.org/drivers/3dfx-voodoo.htm#Voodoo3
Reboot and configure.

Let us know how it goes.

Reply 6 of 7, by original_meusli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success, many thanks.

It appears installing the offical drivers was the trick. It took me three days to get here though after a failed DVD drive and a soundcard swap failure, errrgghh. Now on to trying the force feedback with joystick task.

Reply 7 of 7, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
original_meusli wrote on 2023-03-15, 20:12:

Success, many thanks.

It appears installing the offical drivers was the trick. It took me three days to get here though after a failed DVD drive and a soundcard swap failure, errrgghh. Now on to trying the force feedback with joystick task.

Great, enjoy the rest of the build!