VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favorite music disk is of course Nothing On. The group Renaissance does not need presentation and their music disk "Nothing On" is of the ideal format according to me. It's simple, intuitive and fun to watch while you listen it's awesome music, moreover it support the GUS and from what I make of the documentation it use hardware mixer mode ! Here is the documentation bit that make me believe so :

NOTHINON.DOC wrote:
This Music Disk Utilizes A Multichannel Digital Music Driver. It Can Support Up To 32 Channels Of Music At One Time. In This Mus […]
Show full quote

This Music Disk Utilizes A Multichannel Digital Music Driver. It Can Support
Up To 32 Channels Of Music At One Time. In This Music Disk, The Maximum Number
Of Channels That Will Be Mixed At One Time Is 16. Therefore, Users Of The
Gravis Ultrasound Card Have A Big Advantage Over SoundBlaster Users In That
The Quality Will Be Much Better On A GUS.
[...]
On A GUS, The Quality Is Maintained Rather Than Lost.

Now what don't add up is that if you don't have 600kb of low memory some music do not play. This part of the same documentation file would state this behavior :

NOTHINON.DOC wrote:

About 600K Of Low Memory Free (256K Of Extended Memory Is Needed For SB/SBPro)
[...]
NOTE: If There Is Not Enough Free Memory, Some Songs May Not Play.

I can understand how this make sense for SB software mixing, but why is that so on the GUS ? All I can think is that they forgot to remove the memory check that affect the SB and is unnecessarily preventing the GUS to play some music. Fortunately, it is easy to just put load a manager and enjoy every bits of that program. Thank you in advance to anyone who share his opinion on this.

Reply 1 of 1, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably they simply load the music files into system memory the same way, regardless of the sound card then "forward" the samples to GUS memory once the entire module is in. Or they handle GUS the same as an SB and do software mixing and only upload the output buffer(s). Just half educated guesses.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts