VOGONS

First post, by willinliv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I noticed an issue when trying to get The Incredible Machine working on a 486, whereby the mouse is not working in the game under my default setup with a CT2290 Sound Blaster 16. It launches ok, and you can see the mouse pointer but cannot move it, also it seems that the keyboard is also no functional. I have tried it with different memory configurations with XMS and EMS also conventional, and also launching from Win 3.11, no joy

I found some possible causes online:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/bugs/156/ talks about the game's sound blaster setting masking interupts from the mouse, a solution put forward is changing the sound output to the PC Speaker in the install.com programme and happily this does get the mouse working again. Tried changing the Sound Blaster IRQ from 5 to 7 but no change.

Re: Sierra/Dynamix sound driver hacking has a patch which activates sound through the General MIDI setting of install.com, however I found that although sound now comes via GM the mouse is lost.

So I can get the game working with mouse but only via PC Speaker, not a big issue, I do remember playing it via adlib in my youff, but not a biggy. Just in case anyone else needs a headstart in the future.

Will

Reply 3 of 4, by willinliv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-03-21, 01:04:

I've run into this as well. Sometimes using a different mouse driver will help

Hi Max, thanks again you helped me fix the problem - going to Microsoft Mouse 8.2 fixed the issue.

Kind regards, Will

Reply 4 of 4, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willinliv wrote on 2023-03-24, 19:18:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-03-21, 01:04:

I've run into this as well. Sometimes using a different mouse driver will help

Hi Max, thanks again you helped me fix the problem - going to Microsoft Mouse 8.2 fixed the issue.

Kind regards, Will

Glad to hear it