VOGONS

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a boot disk from my DOS 6.22 installation, but I'm failing and I want to know what's wrong.

My DOS 6.22 install is from REMOVED images IIRC. Everything works fine and the system is stable. I also have Windows 95 installed after DOS 6.22. But for the sake of making the boot disk, I'm using "Previous version of MS-DOS" as I want a DOS 6.22 disk, not Win95 (DOS 7).

If I call SYS A:, then DOS errors out and says "No system on default drive". I have C:\DOS in my PATH variable. And I tried to run SYS A: from inside C:\DOS and C:\ root.. Same result.

If I try FORMAT A: /U /S , then the format is done and it transfers the system at the end.. but the booting from the disk starts then hangs before "Starting MS-DOS..." shows up.. so the system transfer was not right despite what FORMAT said.

I also tried to use Sierra's installer to make the boot disk. It actually uses FORMAT itself, but after FORMAT is finished, the Sierra installer reports that the format failed, so it knows something is wrong here.

Finally, if I format from DOS 7 (Win95 Command Prompt Only) then the boot disk works, but of course it is DOS 7 and says "Starting Windows 95..." .. also SYS A: works under DOS 7...

My guess is that "Previous version of MS-DOS" is not properly restoring MS-DOS 6.22 files, and these files are crucial for boot disk generation.

Any idea what I can do to fix this? My only resort now is to boot from a DOS6.22 setup disk, and have it do SYS A: , but that's cumbersome.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-05-07, 22:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh well, sorry to hear.

You can try to do SYS B:, too, if you only have one floppy drive installed.
DOS will then ask for insertion of a new floppy drive, so you won't overwrite your original disk in A:.
This "trick" was used back in the PC DOS 3.x days.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//