VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Pentium 200 MMX system with 128MB of RAM, ESS 1869F sound card, Voodoo Banshee PCI (only video card installed) and Windows 98 SE. I am using I think the first reference driver for the voodoo (folder says 1023 I believe).

Installed Screamer 2 from a physical legit copy (White Label release) that advertised 3DFX support. I went to the patches folder and followed instructions for the normal patch and then followed instructions for the 3dfx patch which adds the s2_3dfx.exe and extra folder to my install. Trying g to run this exe or the standard s2 exe gives a error in the loader stating transfer stack overflow on interrupt 0Dh at 97:000074C8

Is there a different patch I need to use or something? I am launching it under Win98 and I believe this is the first DOS 3dfx game I have tried to get running before so I don't k ow what else to try. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to update I pasted the S23dfx.exe patch from Phil's site as well and still getting the same error. Do I need to fresh install the game and NOT install the normal patch and only the 3dfx one? I am just not sure if the 3dfx patch alone will contain the updated game from this other patch as well.

Reply 2 of 8, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I resorted to trying to replace Dos4GW with DOS32 after reading some things online and While I get farther I still get illegal operations and protection faults I believe they were. I am just having no luck.

Reply 6 of 8, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dos32a on the Tualatin machines gives a similar error of 6001 exception INT 0DH general protection fault at 00D7:84393E8B

Attachments

Reply 7 of 8, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update! Booted off a Win 98 floppy and have working sound. Game launches if I use the s2_3dfx.exe and demo runs perfect but the menu renders at like 1/2 and FPS making it unusable. Do I need to do something specific for the banshee?

Reply 8 of 8, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi. Have you actually managed to get your copy of the game running in standard, software mode on any of the systems you've tried?
I'd start with that first and then work my way on getting 3Dfx support to run. Perhaps there's some other issue with your copy of the game or the systems you have tried are either not configured in a way that this game approves or perhaps there's some hardware failure such as bad RAM sticks.
If you've solved the above, there are a couple of ideas I have in mind:

a) Banshee may be incompatible or quirky when running this game. In general 3Dfx patches for DOS games were targeted towards the original Voodoo Graphics, with different patches for Voodoo Rush and Voodoo 2 released in some occasions. Voodoo 2 is still similar enough to the original card to work with most DOS 3Dfx games using some variables run through a batch file. Starting with Banshee and Voodoo3 things start to fall apart.

b) The game may run properly on Banshee, but perhaps is having difficulty finding glide2x.ovl or the .ovl file it is trying to use is incompatible with Banshee. You can usually fix this by copying (& replacing if it already exists) the glide2x.ovl from your driver package directly into the game's folder. This is essential as, AFAIR, it contains all the libraries that Glide expects to interface with the card.