VOGONS

First post, by Droidekafan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I'm trying to install a copy of windows 95 to a socket 7 machine I've just built. It's an OEM copy with a boot floppy and a CD ROM install disk. I'm having an issue with the CD-ROM drivers. When starting after the disk has been formatted and partitioned, and the drivers copied over, it restarts to a point where is asks for the CD to be put in the drive. However it also shows and error; "device driver not found: 'MSCD000'. No valid CDROM device drivers selected." I cannot access the CD drive at all. This prevents me from starting the install. I've tried using a windows 98 boot disk and this allows the install but during setup it still can't detect the Windows 95 CD in the drive. The CD is set up as a slave on the ribbon cable.

Is there something I've missed that is causing this? If anyone could enlighten me that would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Reply 3 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Droidekafan wrote on 2023-04-08, 11:15:

Hi All,

I'm trying to install a copy of windows 95 to a socket 7 machine I've just built. It's an OEM copy with a boot floppy and a CD ROM install disk. I'm having an issue with the CD-ROM drivers. When starting after the disk has been formatted and partitioned, and the drivers copied over, it restarts to a point where is asks for the CD to be put in the drive. However it also shows and error; "device driver not found: 'MSCD000'. No valid CDROM device drivers selected." I cannot access the CD drive at all. This prevents me from starting the install. I've tried using a windows 98 boot disk and this allows the install but during setup it still can't detect the Windows 95 CD in the drive. The CD is set up as a slave on the ribbon cable.

Is there something I've missed that is causing this? If anyone could enlighten me that would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Here's how you do the installation.

1. Format C:
2. Boot with floppy and CD-ROM drivers
3. Copy CD:\Win95 folder to C:\Win95CD
4. Start setup from C:\Win95CD, not the CD:\Win95
5. Profit!

edit: If you're low on disk space, you can always delete the C:\Win95CD-folder after you've completed the installation.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 4 of 14, by Droidekafan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-04-08, 12:08:

You've got the CD-ROM driver installed on the C drive and the relevant lines added to autoexec.bat and config.sys, correct?

The boot disk automatically copies over the drivers and autoexec/config. They are present.

Disruptor wrote on 2023-04-08, 12:18:

Are you sure about the device name?
In most cases, it's in both CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT: MSCD001 (not MSCD000)

The device name is already in there as the autoexec and config files are copied from the boot floppy.

Reply 6 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-04-10, 06:24:

So you can access the CD drive from DOS? In that case just follow leonardo's instructions and run setup from the hard drive. You won't need the CD during the installation.

It's a common nuisance and an installation "whoopsie" for people installing Windows 95, because the original installation CD is not bootable, but the setup is divided into two stages which are divided by a reboot. What happens is that the a user will load the CD-ROM drivers using a boot disk and run setup from the CD, but then when the system restarts for the second stage of setup, it will start from the hard disk - at which point access to the CD-ROM drive is temporarily lost because the driver is no longer loaded. Then you get the prompt for inserting the disc. One can work around this limitation, but it's much less of a hassle to just copy the install directory to the hard disk and run setup from there, not to mention much faster.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 14, by Droidekafan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So you can access the CD drive from DOS? In that case just follow leonardo's instructions and run setup from the hard drive. You won't need the CD during the installation.

Only if I use a 98 boot disk, the 95 disk doesn't seem to sort out the drivers correctly.

leonardo wrote on 2023-04-10, 06:49:

It's a common nuisance and an installation "whoopsie" for people installing Windows 95, because the original installation CD is not bootable, but the setup is divided into two stages which are divided by a reboot. What happens is that the a user will load the CD-ROM drivers using a boot disk and run setup from the CD, but then when the system restarts for the second stage of setup, it will start from the hard disk - at which point access to the CD-ROM drive is temporarily lost because the driver is no longer loaded. Then you get the prompt for inserting the disc. One can work around this limitation, but it's much less of a hassle to just copy the install directory to the hard disk and run setup from there, not to mention much faster.

This is what I've done. Managed to get 95 installed by just copying the files onto the hard disk. Cheers lads.

Reply 9 of 14, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of curiosity can you determine what kind of CD-ROM driver is on the OEM setup boot disk?

Part of the reason, I think, the separate boot disk existed was so that the OEM could customize it to have the correct DOS sound driver.

Remember that things hadn't quite settled on ATAPI (IDE) CD-ROM drives yet. There could still be sound card drives and SCSI.

Reply 10 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-05-02, 05:48:

Out of curiosity can you determine what kind of CD-ROM driver is on the OEM setup boot disk?

Part of the reason, I think, the separate boot disk existed was so that the OEM could customize it to have the correct DOS sound driver.

Remember that things hadn't quite settled on ATAPI (IDE) CD-ROM drives yet. There could still be sound card drives and SCSI.

Shockingly, the boot disk that came with OSR2 CDs did not include a CD-ROM driver. At least the ones I've seen and/tried did not! There may have been recovery disks that did but those would probably have been custom ones by Packard Bell, Compaq, IBM, etc...

Reply 11 of 14, by Droidekafan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-05-02, 05:48:

It's quite possible that it's the OEM version I'm using I suppose. I think the driver it's copying during setup is a Sony driver, I'll double check the boot disk.

Reply 12 of 14, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leonardo wrote on 2023-05-02, 10:24:

Shockingly, the boot disk that came with OSR2 CDs did not include a CD-ROM driver. At least the ones I've seen and/tried did not! There may have been recovery disks that did but those would probably have been custom ones by Packard Bell, Compaq, IBM, etc...

that doesn't seem to make any kind of sense. how are you supposed to install the OS from CD if your bootdisk doesn't contain a CD-ROM driver, and booting from CD wasn't much of a thing at the time?

Reply 13 of 14, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2023-05-20, 14:36:
leonardo wrote on 2023-05-02, 10:24:

that doesn't seem to make any kind of sense. how are you supposed to install the OS from CD if your bootdisk doesn't contain a CD-ROM driver, and booting from CD wasn't much of a thing at the time?

I haven't had a factory made Win95 boot disk in many years (I remember they're tan with a white label with the MS logo on them?) but it isn't that out of the question since, once you have Win95 installed and you use the boot disk wizard to make a boot disk, it doesn't include a CD-ROM driver.

Reply 14 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
auron wrote on 2023-05-20, 14:36:

Typically the CD drive would have come with a disk with the driver on it. You then had to modify or create your own boot disk.
It was pretty common really, not just CD drives but SCSI, RAID or anything else where a single standard still wasn't really set.

If you think about it, it's not that different then say Windows XP missing storage drivers for newer chipsets and needing driver disk or creating a new CD with nlite