VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have always thought that platform or games related to the amiga years weren't possible on pc, at the time of the amiga 500 the pc was far behind, i wonder if over the years games like lotus turbo challenge have been successfully converted to pc.

Reply 1 of 7, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you mean by platform? Platformers as in jump and run games? If that was meant: Gods by the Bitmap Brothers was available for both Amiga and PC. Similar with Zool and other games like that. The PC was lacking a lot in the scrolling and sprites department, but could make up for it once the CPUs got faste. A 386 would run circles around the 7 MHz A500 most games were targeting, so it could lift some of the requirements needed for sprite animations.
If you mean certain Amiga games ported from the Amiga platform over to the PC: same thing. Lotsof games were available on both platforms. Sometimes the Amiga versions were better (e.g. Xenon 2 or Gods) but often the PC versions were arguably better (e.g. all of the Sierra and Lucasfilm titles).
The problem with the Amiga was that for a very long time you HAD to support the lowly A500 with only floppy drives and 1MB of RAM, while HDDs were already standard on PCs.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 7, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, many games in the late 80s and early 90s were released on both Amiga and PC. Lotus 1 and 2 were not on PC afaik, but Lotus 3 was, and it was quite good.
Many Amiga classics, like Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies, Superfrog, Blues Brothers, you name it... were also released for DOS.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. I must think about it. When I started playing games on PC, it was the other way round.

Edit: Tricky. Many PC games had EGA support, providing 640x200 and 640x350 resolutions (16c and up via fast palette switching).
Then there was MT-32 and 800x600 pels SVGA support by late 80s/early 90s..

Hm. Star Flight, Captain Blood, Weird Dreams.
For scrolling, I was going to mention Turrican 2, but it has a good PC port and is from the 90s.

If I had to make a decision, I'd chose the Amiga for playing text adventures mainly (Infocom titles).
The white/blue colour scheme and the text font are nicer to the eye than that hard font of a typical DOS PC of the era.

Edit: And if I had been serious about the Amiga (back then), then I would have sold the poor A500 ASAP and gotten myself an A2000.
Along with a composite video frame grabber and a drawing tablet. And a flicker-fixing to get rid of that 15 KHz flicker.

A real VGA monitor or generic RGBHV multi-sync or multi-frequency monitor would have had taken the place of the TV set.
Maybe an used monitor used by medical equipment, with a 20" diagonale.

Edit: An used broadcast monitor would have also sufficed, maybe.
They sometimes had a switch on their back for selecting 15/31 KHz input and also had BNC connectors.
Good enough to be driven by a flicker-fixer or graphics board.

Edit: My bad. In the first post it's mentioned that this is about the times the Amiga was ahead of the PC.
Which means before 1987, when both VGA and the A2000 were introduced.
So I must chose A1000, which looks like a Commodore 128 PC, at least.
Back then it didn't cost a house and boat yet, so that's okay. 😇

Edit: Marble Madness? It's from 1986. And the PC Booter looks less good.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2023-04-08, 15:32. Edited 5 times in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote on 2023-04-08, 14:38:

Actually, many games in the late 80s and early 90s were released on both Amiga and PC. Lotus 1 and 2 were not on PC afaik, but Lotus 3 was, and it was quite good.
Many Amiga classics, like Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies, Superfrog, Blues Brothers, you name it... were also released for DOS.

exactly i not mean adventure or rts, but games like superfrog for poatform, Lotus turbo challenge, pinball ecc… i remember the pc scrolling was always worst than the amiga one

Reply 5 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2023-04-08, 14:59:

exactly i not mean adventure or rts, but games like superfrog for poatform, Lotus turbo challenge, pinball ecc… i remember the pc scrolling was always worst than the amiga one

Superfrog - I think there was no PC version, there was plenty of other platform games, and indeed, scrolling often wasn't the best on the PC
Lotus - as already mentioned, there was Lotus III on the PC, and I don't recall any defciences there
Pinball - there was plenty for the PC, with very nice scrolling, notably Pinball Fantasies was better on the PC than on Amiga, the original release for Amiga was buggy, the later PC conversion was bugfixed and supported higher resolution

In general: yes, Amiga was originally designed as a gaming console, and there was the era (around 1987..92) when Amiga games usually were better... but USUALLY doesn't mean ALWAYS.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 7, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll explain my needs better: in a holiday home I have an amiga600 and with my little son we play some platform games (a particular game isn't important but the platform game genre) only that I like rts and I'm on amiga terrible, the graphic adventures (at 256 colors they are paintings to see) and I was thinking of replacing the amiga with a pentium1 that would allow me to play c&c, syndicate, duneII (I tried it on amiga and it's bad in comparison) but I was wondering if you could find platformers for him to play…

Reply 7 of 7, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2023-04-08, 15:25:

Superfrog - I think there was no PC version, there was plenty of other platform games, and indeed, scrolling often wasn't the best on the PC

Yes, Superfrog was available on DOS, as I said.
Scrolling wasn't as perfect as on the Amiga at the time... then again, I didn't have a VLB system yet I think. May work fine if you just run it on a 486+ with good VLB card.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/7463/superfrog … creenshots/dos/

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/