VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running a 486 DX33 with a CT4170 (VIBRA16x PnP), and trying to get decent audio in The Lion King on DOS.
The card is configured with ADDR 220, IRQ 5, LOW-DMA 1 and HI-DMA 1.

The only (relevant) sound card option in the original INSTALL.EXE program is "Sound Blaster", which results in a rather poor quality mono sound.
I have another (cracked) version that allows selecting "Sound Blaster Pro" and "Sound Blaster 16", but selecting those results with no sound. I have no idea where I found this version. The installer even has several text based games in it... bizarre.
The weird thing is, that there is a demo version of the game, where although the setup program (SETSOUND.EXE in this case) does not give a SB16 option, it is possible to manually modify the LIONKING.CFG file to use SB16, and the sound quality of the demo is great and stereo! There is only 1 track though (LION1.AMF), that plays in the title as well as in the game itself.
I tried using the demo's CFG file in the full version, but it did not change anything.

Using Camoto Online I was able to extract the title music file (TITLE.AMF) from the full original version, renamed it and placed it in the demo version folder, and indeed the demo played the title music beautifully, in stereo.
Which means that the issue is not with the audio packed in the full version, but rather in the executable itself.

I tried several versions of the full game executable, but was not able to make it play audio in SB16 mode.

BTW, neither dosbox not PCem make any sound when running the demo version in SB16 mode. But when I changed the High DMA in dosbox to 1 from the default 5 to mach my actual hardware, it makes some terrible noises when playing the demo version. progress? 😜

The only thing I could find online is this dosbox-x github issue, that does not come to any useful conclusion.
Any ideas? 😀

Attachments

• lk_install_txt.png
    Filename
    lk_install_txt.png
    File size
    9.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I attached recording of the title song in SB and SB16 modes.

Filename
lk-sb.mp3
File size
799.69 KiB
Downloads
41 downloads
File license
Public domain
Filename
lk-sb16.mp3
File size
1.2 MiB
Downloads
38 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably the same issue as with Aladdin. See here: Aladdin (DOS) music - SB16 vs. SBPro vs. WSS

Cloudschatze made a fix for that game, so I imagine it might be possible to do something similar for Lion King as well.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 4, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-04-14, 05:32:

Probably the same issue as with Aladdin. See here: Aladdin (DOS) music - SB16 vs. SBPro vs. WSS

Cloudschatze made a fix for that game, so I imagine it might be possible to do something similar for Lion King as well.

Thanks 😀
I found that thread too, and indeed used the modified cfg file (modified it to use High DMA 1), and also patched the exe for real 44khz output in Aladdin.
But if I understand correctly, the issue here is not the cfg file, which is in clear text and not binary. As I mentioned, the same cfg, configured for SB16, works well in the demo exe, but not in the retail one.
Cloudschatze for the rescue? 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something seems inherently broken with the music support in the retail release of The Lion King. I don't know that it will produce stereo sound with any capable/supported soundcard, let alone the SB16.

There are several ways to force SB16 usage though, since the relevant SDI routine is both included and intact in the game executable. Unfortunately, and despite the resultant 16-bit, "stereo" output, DSMI is still rendering the AMF playback stream in mono, with errant, glitching noises to boot.

If you want to test it yourself, configure the game for SB support, and then change the following:

LIONKING.EXE
0x9E6D0: 01 -> 06

LIONKING.CFG
SB 220 5 1 -> SB 220 5 5

And, not that it matters, but the playback rate can be changed from the default 42000 Hz to 44100 Hz with the following:

LIONKING.EXE
0x539B7: 08 52 -> 22 56