VOGONS

First post, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to make Judge Dredd for DOS work for a long time and now I decided to bring up the problem to find out if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a game problem. I've tried several ISOs and even the original disc, I get to the game's start screen but when I press enter the screen just flashes and comes back again. I've already checked several settings, such as the PATH of the CD, and I haven't found anything that solves it. The funny thing is that in DOSBOX the game works, but you have to insert the instruction SET DOS16M=4M. Does anyone have any ideas or can get it to work in MS-DOS?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mentioning the hardware you are trying to run the game on will probably help getting more feedback. Also what have you tried already, like booting clean, disabling sound, maybe a different vga...

Reply 2 of 10, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-04-19, 17:14:

Mentioning the hardware you are trying to run the game on will probably help getting more feedback. Also what have you tried already, like booting clean, disabling sound, maybe a different vga...

Ideally, people who have compatible hardware would try to install it and make it work too, as it is a specific problem for this game, I have no problem with other games. I don't think anyone tried to install this in DOS as there is no information on the internet, only DOSBOX users mention it but the solution there didn't solve the problem. Here is the list of tested hardware:
Soundblaster SB32, AWE64, SB16, Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Supersavage4 PCI, TNT AGP, TNT2 PCI and AGP, Rage Pro AGP, Matrox G450 PCI, Intel 440 Chipset and Soyo/VIA.

Reply 3 of 10, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Think your system is to fast. Got the same problem on a Pentium III 750Mhz. But it works correctly on a 486DX 66Mhz.

Tried it with slowdown but it didn't work. Maybe you can try cpuspeed or so or try it on a older system.

Reply 4 of 10, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yoghoo wrote on 2023-04-19, 19:49:

Think your system is to fast. Got the same problem on a Pentium III 750Mhz. But it works correctly on a 486DX 66Mhz.

Tried it with slowdown but it didn't work. Maybe you can try cpuspeed or so or try it on a older system.

If this is the problem I don't have much to do, I tested it on a P3 450 mhz, I already tried to lower the FSB. I have a P2 but I don't think it has a very low clock unfortunately.

Reply 5 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried lowering or limiting the amount of available RAM?

gundstaff wrote on 2023-04-19, 15:47:

The funny thing is that in DOSBOX the game works, but you have to insert the instruction SET DOS16M=4M.

DOSBox doesn't emulate a real computer and has "fixes" for these kinds of problems. 😉

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 10, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-04-20, 20:43:

The funny thing is that in DOSBOX the game works, but you have to insert the instruction SET DOS16M=4M.

DOSBox doesn't emulate a real computer and has "fixes" for these kinds of problems. 😉

I did not try. How do I do this, DOS is not already limited?

Reply 7 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gundstaff wrote on 2023-04-20, 20:59:

I asked the question because I have seen issues with some DOS software with larger amount of RAM, which I assume in this case considering the hardware that you mentioned.

There is software like XMSDSK (ramdrive), LIMITMEM or HIMEMX (HIMEM.SYS replacement, has the /MAX parameter) that let you do this without having to physically swap the RAM sticks.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 10, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-04-20, 21:11:
gundstaff wrote on 2023-04-20, 20:59:

I asked the question because I have seen issues with some DOS software with larger amount of RAM, which I assume in this case considering the hardware that you mentioned.

There is software like XMSDSK (ramdrive), LIMITMEM or HIMEMX (HIMEM.SYS replacement, has the /MAX parameter) that let you do this without having to physically swap the RAM sticks.

Considering that DOS has a limit of 64mb I will test a memory of this size first. If it doesn't work, I try some parameters to limit the size.

Reply 9 of 10, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this game installed on my P133 w/64 MB ram in DOS 7.1 and it runs fine.

My Machine has :

624k Base Mem free
32MB of 64MB configured as EMS
A PCI Voodoo Banshee for video
A Sound Blaster 16
MPU-401 With MT32 and SC55MK][
Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI Card

Using , MSDOS 7.1 - HIMEM, EMM386, ASPI8DOS.SYS, ASPICD.SYS, SHSUCDX, CTMOUSE

I'm running at the full 133Mhz with no problem.

Reply 10 of 10, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-04-21, 00:36:
I have this game installed on my P133 w/64 MB ram in DOS 7.1 and it runs fine. […]
Show full quote

I have this game installed on my P133 w/64 MB ram in DOS 7.1 and it runs fine.

My Machine has :

624k Base Mem free
32MB of 64MB configured as EMS
A PCI Voodoo Banshee for video
A Sound Blaster 16
MPU-401 With MT32 and SC55MK][
Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI Card

Using , MSDOS 7.1 - HIMEM, EMM386, ASPI8DOS.SYS, ASPICD.SYS, SHSUCDX, CTMOUSE

I'm running at the full 133Mhz with no problem.

Tried with a Celeron 466 and 32mb of RAM. Unsuccessfully. I would try DOS 6.22 but as you are using 7.1 then it is unnecessary and it will also be unnecessary to limit the amount of RAM. Maybe it's the same processor, but I don't want to have to spend to mount a socket 7 for that.