VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Having a problem I honestly didn't anticipate.

I had drives C, D and E, C being the OS obviously. I wanted to reformat the machine so I figured I'd put all my setup files and drivers and everything in E, format C and then I could load everything back from E

So I blew away C and put DOS on it and now I can only see the C and D drives. I can't see E for some reason. I didn't anticipate this because I figured in a DOS environment, why should the visibility of E have anything to do with whether windows is on it or whatever. Unless DOS is somehow different now. I dunno.

Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to see this other drive and what I can do now to regain access to it? Is there something I have to do in FDISK for example? Right now FDISK doesn't show it at all. Just shows D.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well so what was on E before? Was it NTFS? Was it a primary partition? Was there an extended partition with D and E as the logical drives? I think we need more information.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 12, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a P133 machine so probably FAT16 and D is definitely on the extended drive. FDISK reports the correct size that D and E would normally occupy but doesn't "see" E.

I think I know what you're getting at regarding "primary". I would have thought only C would be primary but then why is D showing up.

On second thought, this is just over 4gb drive so maybe it's more than dos can address and I had to settle for C and D initially. After installing 95 I may have created E from there... would that be FAT32 then? Maybe that's why I can't see it. Is there a newer version of FDISK that can see FAT32?

Reply 3 of 12, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another thought... Is there anything at all I can turn into a boot floppy that I can use to temporarily access a FAT32 volume (assuming that's the problem) A quick google search says dos 7.1 reads FAT32 but I can't find a boot floppy for it. I guess it's too big?

I just need to access this drive long enough to install W95 and I'm good after that.

Reply 4 of 12, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gahhhrrrlic wrote on 2023-04-23, 21:20:

Another thought... Is there anything at all I can turn into a boot floppy that I can use to temporarily access a FAT32 volume (assuming that's the problem) A quick google search says dos 7.1 reads FAT32 but I can't find a boot floppy for it. I guess it's too big?

I just need to access this drive long enough to install W95 and I'm good after that.

Windows 9x and DOS have a limitation regarding partitioning: you're only allowed to have one primary partition per disk. What this means is that if you want more "drive letters" than C on one disk, they have to reside within an extended partition. FDISK will ask, when you create an extended partition, if you want to use all the available space on it for a new volume. If you choose 'no', you get to set the amount of space used for second volume, and then again asked for the amount space for the third volume etc.

This however doesn't explain why you were able to use drive E before you wiped Windows and booted into DOS.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 5 of 12, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does W95 do something to the DOS files that allow you to see F32 partitions?

As a band-aid, anything that boots off a floppy and can read F32 will do, if you have any suggestions?

EDIT:

Wait a minute... W95 runs on FAT16 still. The problem here must have something to do with the size of the volume DOS can address or whether it's "primary" or not or something else... I don't see how the file system would be FAT32.

Reply 6 of 12, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK I was able to solve the problem.

For anyone who has the same issue and wants the quick answer, use Windows ME boot disk. Apparently, whatever version of DOS it uses is able to see all your drives. 6.22 cannot.

Reply 7 of 12, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 95 can be fat32, osr2 onwards brought fat32 but that was oem only at the time. So a dos 6.22 boot disk wouldnt work.
I tried the same earlier as I have win95 and win3.11 on the same drive, both run fine only problem Im finding is the awedrivers for win3.11 wont install because its dos 7.1, and I cant boot dos 6.22 because no fat32 drivers.

Reply 8 of 12, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have more than one primary partition?
DOS just can see FAT16 partitions.
Win95B up to WinME are able to see one primary FAT32 partition plus one primary FAT16 partition.

Reply 11 of 12, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gahhhrrrlic wrote on 2023-04-23, 22:02:

OK I was able to solve the problem.

For anyone who has the same issue and wants the quick answer, use Windows ME boot disk. Apparently, whatever version of DOS it uses is able to see all your drives. 6.22 cannot.

It never occurred for me to ask if you were booting an older operating system to launch the installation. I assumed you were using a Windows 95 bootdisk (DOS 7, I think). Naturally DOS versions older than the one bundled with Windows 95 can't deal with FAT32 and large disks.

Glad to learn you were able to figure it out, though.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 12 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.. Technically speaking, it is possible for older DOS versions to handle FAT32.

a) There's the method of using a TSR that makes FAT32 appears as a remote network drive.
Some NTFS drivers (read-only) use that method.

b) Using the Installable File System (IFS) feature.
- DOS 4.0 had it at one point in time, but it was removed in later releases. Maybe in 4.01 already?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installable_File_System

That's just a technical point of view, of course.
In practice no FAT32 support is available to classic DOS (yet).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//