VOGONS

First post, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Windows 98 SE build with 2 GB RAM using Patchmem. I'm not totally sure if it's connected to it but I just installed good old Age of Empires. When I try to open the game I get a Windows message: Error - "Not enough memory or swap file space. Close other applications and/or free some disk space, and then restart Age of Empires." and the game won't start. I haven't had problems with other games yet. Any help? I have an XP dual boot so perhaps I should just install AoE in that. On the other hand I'm worried that if I don't solve this some other problems will follow with other programs. (I'm also a bit obsessed that a game should be installed in the OS that it was originally made for).

I tried to google something about this problem but didn't find anything. I might try to use MSConfig to limit the RAM when I try to play AoE.

EDIT: Limiting the memory size using MSConfig worked.

Reply 1 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-15, 08:24:

I have a Windows 98 SE build with 2 GB RAM using Patchmem. I'm not totally sure if it's connected to it but I just installed good old Age of Empires. When I try to open the game I get a Windows message: Error - "Not enough memory or swap file space. Close other applications and/or free some disk space, and then restart Age of Empires."

I have a system with 2 GB RAM as well, and I've encountered a similar error with Final Fantasy 7.

file.php?id=151313&mode=view

Just like in your case, limiting the memory to 512 MB via MSCONFIG solved the issue. This may be platform dependent, but there do seem to be some Win98 games which give errors with more than 512 MB RAM, even with PATCHMEM applied.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 2, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-05-15, 09:03:
I have a system with 2 GB RAM as well, and I've encountered a similar error with Final Fantasy 7. […]
Show full quote
Lintu wrote on 2023-05-15, 08:24:

I have a Windows 98 SE build with 2 GB RAM using Patchmem. I'm not totally sure if it's connected to it but I just installed good old Age of Empires. When I try to open the game I get a Windows message: Error - "Not enough memory or swap file space. Close other applications and/or free some disk space, and then restart Age of Empires."

I have a system with 2 GB RAM as well, and I've encountered a similar error with Final Fantasy 7.

file.php?id=151313&mode=view

Just like in your case, limiting the memory to 512 MB via MSCONFIG solved the issue. This may be platform dependent, but there do seem to be some Win98 games which give errors with more than 512 MB RAM, even with PATCHMEM applied.

Okay! Thanks for sharing your experience. I actually limited it to 999 MB and haven't had any problems. Before getting the another 1 GB of RAM the other GB ran fine even without PATCHMEM.