VOGONS

First post, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello once again,
From time to time I try running this game with sound, CD audio and smooth framerate, but I was never able to get it running 100%, and that includes attempting with period correct hardware. I always blammed the system I was running it, so my last attempt was using PCEM and trying different CPU speed and video card combinations, but I always ended up having the same issues I get on real hardware regardless of configuration:

-If I run the game in a window, movement is not smooth and game speed is correct.
-If I run the game full screen (FAST) without the sync with monitor checked, game speed is correct, but lots of screen tearing and jerky movement
-If I run the game full screen (FAST) with the sync with monitor checked, game is smooth, but runs a bit faster at 70fps (as it uses 320x200@70hz for this mode). This was what I used back in the day and never knew I was playing the game faster than it was supposed to be, not to mention the sound seems to get a bit out of sync as the animations run a bit faster.
-If I run the game full screen (SMOOTH) without the sync with monitor checked, game runs at normal speed, but lots of screen tearing and some artifacts when the screen is scrolling (looks like some vertical stripes on screen). This gets better/worse by using slower/faster CPUs or slower video cards, but never gets solved.
-If I run the game full screen (SMOOTH) with the sync with monitor checked, game runs extremely fast even on a 486! The artifacts during scrolling get even worse in that mode, too.

I already tried many different system combinations in PCEM, plus real hardware (Athlon 750 + Geforce MX440, a Pentium 200 + Virge S3, and I clearly remember having the same problems on my Pentium 100 + Ati Rage II back in the day). It just...doesn't...work! I always have the same issues regardless of machine.
Did anyone ever run this game using the full screen (SMOOTH) mode (320x240@60hz) with sync to monitor enabled and it worked as intended by running at 60fps?

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 1 of 3, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many views but no response, this is indeed a tough game to get working 😀.
Apologies for replying my own post, but I wanted to share some other findings I had with the game.
It seems the Full Screen (SMOOTH) has some kind of bug that prevents it from syncing with the monitor properly so if you select this option it goes full speed in most systems, not to mention the ugly graphical artifacts (like the scrolling has different speed between vertical lines). Sadly if you disable the sync option the game gets jittery and still has the glitches if your CPU is fast (meaning anything above a P90).
The ONLY configuration that I could set in PCEM that can run this mode at around 60fps and with smooth scrolling was with a Pentium Overdrive 83mhz using a Cirrus Logic GD-5434 for video as having a fast video card also makes the game go bonkers. With this system, the game was able to run at 64 fps (you can see by typing "framerate" while playing), and if enabling the sync with monitor option, with smooth scrolling. The only issue are the glitches that despite being very faint, still are noticeable.
There might be an even better setup for running this game, but I couldn't find it yet.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 2 of 3, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have not tested this game, but this actually might be the first win95 commercial game release so it's not surprising to hear it being troublesome. this game actually even predates directx. i have tested gex which is over a year newer, but still gave me trouble. made a topic about it once here: tearing in gex

Reply 3 of 3, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
auron wrote on 2023-05-26, 11:35:

i have not tested this game, but this actually might be the first win95 commercial game release so it's not surprising to hear it being troublesome. this game actually even predates directx. i have tested gex which is over a year newer, but still gave me trouble. made a topic about it once here: tearing in gex

Correct, the engine used by Pitfall predates DirectX, in fact, Microsoft used some of it as basis for creating DirectX. There were quite a few games released during that "GAP" between Windows 95 release and DirectX becoming standard, mostly console ports that were supposed to show how capable Windows 95 was as a gaming platform.
It did its job, but looking in retrospect It's clear that the console versions were usually superior at least for 2D games, PCs just could not compete with the way consoles handled tiles and sprites by hardware.
GEX is one of those in my opinion, the game runs at 30fps instead of 60fps like the PS1 and Saturn versions, not to mention the screen tearing issue. At least this game is available on GOG to play in modern hardware but I'm not sure if it works in period correct hardware.
I used to own both Pitfall and GEX (one of the first big box games I had) and loved both of them, lucky for me I didn't know anything about vsync or framerates.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD