VOGONS

First post, by Kamtschatka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I had this notebook in a drawer for years. When SBEMU was made, I checked the hardware and saw it had one of the supported VIA audio chips and thought I will give it a try.
SBEMU needs QEMM.

So I installed MS-DOS 6.22 and then QEMM (9.0 German).
But: QEMM won't work, no matter what I try.
I tried all possible combinations of MS-DOS versions 6.22 and 7.1 (CDU) , QEMM versions 7, 8 and 9, stealth modes disabled and 32Bit-IDE disabled and enabled in BIOS and the MS-DOS 7.1 AddOns installed and not installed .. some dozens of combinations which took me at least 30 hours.

The result always is the same:

qemm.jpeg
Filename
qemm.jpeg
File size
473.36 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

QEMM installation will hang on the purple OPTIMIZE step and I then power the notebook off, as it's told to do in QEMM's messages.
The red OPTIMIZE step will also hang, and I power off again, as it's suggested by the QEMM message again.

-When the notebook then does the final reboot (look at the screenshot, please!) , it will take very long (about two minutes?) for it to skipfrom the "Verfügbarer speicher für QEMM: 253504 KB" step to show the next block ("QDPMI ...".

-Then it will take about two minutes again, for the IDE/ATAPI Driver message to show.

-Then it will again take very long, until the corrupted message appears.

When I wait for much longer it sometimes actually boots into DOS, but after each fresh install (DOS+QEMM) there are messages of arbitrary corrupted interchanging system files (like COMMAND.COM or CONFIG.SYS) which make it unuseable most of the time. Sometimes I cannot even get to DOS, no matter how long I wait, and it crashes like this:

qemm2.jpeg
Filename
qemm2.jpeg
File size
458.95 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

-The HDD is working fine, I checked it using tools and also MS-DOS is working without any issue before QEMM installation.

Can you help me getting QEMM to run on this notebook, please?
Thank you very much!