VOGONS

First post, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm installing a 5.25" drive to my MS-DOS build. I will then pickup some new old stock 5.25 disks so I can copy over some games. As the subject of the post suggests, i'd like the games to have been originally released/designed for the format.

Please give me some recommendations for what games to put on them. The whole exercise of retro gaming is to experience the more analog side of the era so Ideally the entire game should fit and run directly on the disk.

I would maybe even print some labels for the games to make it a bit more authentic. If anyone has any ideas where to get the files/disk images and possibly where to download a label as well for the disk that would be helpful.

Many thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alleycat 😁

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 9, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sinbad, Operation Wolf, Might & Magic 1 & 2 come to mind. These are 5.25"-only releases as far as I know. Many other games shipped in dual format in the same box, like Sierra titles. And some games had different boxes for each 3.5" vs 5.25". Not sure what goes into your criteria. But it could be a huge list if you include dual media releases.

Reply 3 of 9, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty much all games before 1990s were available on 5.25" disks.

Sometimes there were separate 5.25" and 3.5" releases, sometimes you got both in the same box, sometimes you could mail the unwanted disks to the company and they would send you the ones you needed.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 9, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wbahnassi wrote on 2023-06-01, 12:20:

Sinbad, Operation Wolf, Might & Magic 1 & 2 come to mind. These are 5.25"-only releases as far as I know. Many other games shipped in dual format in the same box, like Sierra titles. And some games had different boxes for each 3.5" vs 5.25". Not sure what goes into your criteria. But it could be a huge list if you include dual media releases.

I don't mind if the games were also released on other formats. Just that they should have been released/available on 5.25 disks.

Reply 7 of 9, by WhiteFalcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if its allowed to link to abandonware sites, so if you google a little, for example using this search link https://www.google.com/search?q=dos+5+1%252F4 … isk+game+images, the first result will take you to one such site. You can just use it for information on various floppy version releases of the games there, if you dont want to download the whole images to make a 1:1 copy to your blank 5 1/4" discs.

Olivetti M4 P75, 32MB RAM, 4GB HDD, 8GB CF, SoundBlaster AWE 64, Gravis Ultrasound MAX, Roland SCC-1, Roland MT-32, Roland CM-64
Intel 486DX2/66Mhz, 16MB RAM, VGA Trident 512kB, 264MB HDD Quantum, 256MB CF, SoundBlaster 16 Pro (CT2910)

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

StarFlight?

It was one of those 5,25" games in a vinyl/record look style box.

Re: The year is 1990 and you still have a PC/XT and can't upgrade. Which games are you playing?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//