VOGONS

First post, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been trying out GLQuake on my Voodoo 3 3500 TV, and of course, it runs really smoothly. However, I get some elements of the HUD flickering, such as when a number chances, it flickers between the new number and the old number continually. It can also flicker between the HUD and fullscreen effects like the console "door" which closes over the whole screen between levels; the 3D area displays just fine but the part over the HUD can be glitchy and flicker.

I have searched online but the results always seem to be for the Steam version (and not what I'm talking about anyway) or some other Quake entry. This is just about retail Quake, running on Windows 98SE, patched with GLQuake and nothing else.

If my description isn't clear enough then I can try and make a GIF of it, but basically the flickering is continual and alternates with every single frame (so like, alternating between an old element and a new element, at 60FPS).

Does anyone know any help for this?

Reply 2 of 3, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried disabling ztrick in the console? Guess it was something like:
gl_ztrick 0
When I used to have a voodoo 2, had to do that otherwise the HUD would flicker as you described.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 3 of 3, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like disabling forced triple buffering worked! Thanks very much.

I tried enabling forced triple buffering again and disabling ztrick, but I couldn't tell if I was entering it correctly, and it didn't change the issue. But thanks as well!