First post, by Rikintosh
I don't mean to sound stupid with this question. Just for the record, I was a victim of ME, it traumatized me deeply, I was 11 or 12 when I got my P166 MMX, and it had ME, numerous BSODs and problems, system restores, formatting, and I had no knowledge about that, so that terrified me, until the HD died, and I was without a computer for 2 years. But I must thank him, because he awakened my interest in repairing, and today it is my profession.
But on the other hand, a few years ago, I had an Acer Travelmate 350 notebook, it had an ME restore CD, and that worked GREAT, I was amazed at the stability of the system, I was able to use it for a long time, including my games, internet browsing, everyday use, without any problems! I suspect it was a late version with fixes and updates that Acer put in, but I could never confirm that.
I remember the only thing that bothered me was the lack of dos for some games, but I was able to fix that later (I don't remember how, I think by modifying the boot files).
So recently I was building my RIG99 (SS7, 250mhz, 256mb) and I was thinking about putting ME in it.
My questions are:
1. What exactly is broken in ME? WDM Drivers? VXD? I remember at the time people badmouthing the kernel or something like that... Was there a fix?
2. Is it feasible/preferable over 98se with updates? (For the record, I only use official updates on my 98se)
3. I liked the ME's USB, Network, fast boot, and (I could be wrong) NTFS support. Is it possible to have all this in the 98?
4. I heard about 90se2ME, but I was afraid to install it and screw up my whole system, is it really a full feature ME implementation for 98 or is it just a mod with ME files?
5. ME used dos 8.0, and 98 used dos 7.1. I remember having a hard time running some dos games on ME, I really like being able to open dos games directly on windows 98 and play them without having to restart the computer, is there any fix that allows me to do this on ME?
6. Is there a way to use ME under DOS 7.1?
Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg