VOGONS

First post, by serialShinobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I had this idea of subscribing to Usenet newsgroups and seeing if there are people there with a vested interest in IRC.

I just have no idea how to find a server where the owners care about people using the protocol.

Is there any sign of network activity on the ports related to IRC at all? What about chating with people that are strangers? Cryptography? What is the way of the people of IRC these days?

How do I find chat groups?

Reply 1 of 8, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> Status Of MIRC

mIRC is doing fine. Mostly... the author decided to not honor the lifetime licenses he sold, because he'd like more money.

Oh, you didn't mean the client software, just made a typo? Well then...

> Status Of MIRC

There are still multiple networks going, complete with the occasional drama like a hostile takeover (read the second paragraph, and also note the links to other networks at the bottom of the page).

Reply 2 of 8, by serialShinobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are still multiple networks going, complete with the occasional drama like a hostile takeover (read the second paragraph, and also note the links to other networks at the bottom of the page).

Thanks for helping me with this question. Looks like Rob Levin was murdered. You know hit and run. That's a red flag.

I noticed that the idea is collaboration software, using IRC to quickly interchange ideas to get a distribution or some package going. I even read a log of a chat on IRC about some distro they were tasked with.

Is this it for IRC? Just developing open source projects?

Can Usenet reveal other ways people are using IRC? I had notions that harken memories of ICQ.

Is there a forum with an interest in social networks where some users are focused on using IRC for recreational reasons, meeting people...got to be an ADHD person that likes to cut the distraction factor when it comes to conventional stuff like yahoo, Facebook, etc.

Is that forum on Usenet? Maybe I need to visit a newsgroup server for people who are part of the task of social networks?

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can usenet reveal anything these days? It's been a while that I used it since back then spam took over the groups and usenet seemed more like a file sharing platform anymore.
As for IRC, you just need to find the right group I guess. Most people are using Discord, though.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ircjr, part of mTCP, defaults to #vc on irc.slashnet.org. As you would expect much of irc nowadays is for open source software or old computers, with the advantage that you can connect to it from your vintage machines.

serialShinobi wrote on 2023-06-10, 15:43:

Is there a forum with an interest in social networks where some users are focused on using IRC for recreational reasons, meeting people...got to be an ADHD person that likes to cut the distraction factor when it comes to conventional stuff like yahoo, Facebook, etc.

You might check out https://sdf.lonestar.org

Reply 5 of 8, by serialShinobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I am gradually realizing that "social networking" is closely tied to "social media".

Basically you need the proverbial "relationship" to become a part of social networks.

I remember a group back in the 90s that had their own retail store and sold items online. They also used Usenet and IRC. In other words they all knew each other. They were mostly university students and alumni. They liked new ideas and back then that idea was the internet...something straight out of a picture of refrigerator sized hubs used to connect to a router.

Reply 6 of 8, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-06-10, 22:54:

ircjr, part of mTCP, defaults to #vc on irc.slashnet.org. As you would expect much of irc nowadays is for open source software or old computers, with the advantage that you can connect to it from your vintage machines.

As far as I know IRCjr has no defaults for what networks or channels you should connect to. Where are you seeing that it does? (It's not in the code or the sample configuration file.)

One of the nice things about Discord is that there are bots to link IRC channels to Discord servers so you can participate using an IRC client or Discord.

(If you are using Libera as your network you need to check the mTCP home page for a bug fix to IRCjr.)

Reply 7 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbbrutman wrote on 2023-06-11, 16:01:
As far as I know IRCjr has no defaults for what networks or channels you should connect to. Where are you seeing that it does? […]
Show full quote
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-06-10, 22:54:

As far as I know IRCjr has no defaults for what networks or channels you should connect to. Where are you seeing that it does? (It's not in the code or the sample configuration file.)

One of the nice things about Discord is that there are bots to link IRC channels to Discord servers so you can participate using an IRC client or Discord.

(If you are using Libera as your network you need to check the mTCP home page for a bug fix to IRCjr.)

Ah, you would know 😁... I guess I've just seen it used as the "standard" channel whenever machines running IRCjr are being exhibited!

Reply 8 of 8, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Discord is like IRC, but it uses a web browser, you can see the history from when you weren't connected, and the server doesn't need a NickServ or whatever to stop people from stealing your name, so it's much more convenient (unless you're trying to connect from a retro PC!). If you really want to use IRC, you may be best to find one of those Discords which connects with IRC via a bot.

I recall seeing on NCommander's wiki that they had a Discord and their twitter profile seems to link to it: https://twitter.com/FOSSfirefighter I've never used it myself but it might be worth seeing what that is like; it seems like the kind of Discord that is likely to be accessible via IRC.