VOGONS

First post, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there.
I've installed a computer as follows:
- Soltek SL-54U5 motherboard (512kB cache) that has been recapped (at least the big ones)
- Amd K6-2/500 CPU
- 256MB+128MB RAM
- GF FX5500 (perhaps a little overkill?)
- Intel pro/100S PCI NIC (slot 2)
- Lexar 1066 32GB CF card in a generic chinese straight-to-MB adapter. This had to be manually defined in bios, even though I'm running the latest available vanilla BIOS (with award v4.51 core).
-- This has been partitioned at 2GB for windows and the rest for storage

As for drivers, I've installed:
- Via 4in1 v4.35
- Nvidia 81.98 (I tried 45.23 and 53.04 but they didn't recognize the card)

So the problem is as follows, if I try to download from an FTP with FileZilla it will hang the system for a while. It downloads at about 3-4MB/s.
Using IE or just "ftp" are not as bad.

Is there an issue with the CF card or some drivers? The CF card does NOT have the fixed bit set - I haven't found tools to do so.

Some transactions are really fast, while others may be very slow. For example, installing Unreal Tournament (GOTY edition) was very slow.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-07-05, 13:04:

- Nvidia 81.98 (I tried 45.23 and 53.04 but they didn't recognize the card)

You need to mod the Ini of the 45.XX drivers and add the 5500 and then to a manual install of the card by pointing the device manager to the modded INF to use the proper driver for the card. Thats why it didn't automatically work for you, but that doesnt mean that it doesnt work. The drivers on vogons might already have that mod.

Reply 3 of 5, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2023-07-05, 13:24:

Check to see if DMA is enabled for the hdd in system properties.

DMA was not enabled. Enabled it, but it still hangs.

Also, about the GF. Both the GF and an ATI Rage 128 show up at AGP 1x. Both should be capable for at least AGP 2x.
I Will try that Driver mod. Thanks for the tip!

Reply 4 of 5, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just an update about that AGP issue. I had to patch the bios with Modbin to enable the agp mode selection. No real change in performance. It works in some manner for now.

Reply 5 of 5, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

have you actually looked at CPU usage during a network transfer, for instance using the tool that can be installed as an optional component in win9x? networking in 9x isn't exactly known for being very efficient but TCP optimizer may be one way to improve performance. and yes, the 5500 is certainly overkill - with that k6 you can easily get by with a gf2mx and probably get a slightly lower driver overhead. the AGP 1x is just the graphics driver detecting that via chipset and lowering the speed for stability reasons. you may want to try to run something heavy like 3dmark.