VOGONS

DOS programming tools

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by Exploit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doublebuffer wrote on 2023-07-08, 09:52:

Are there any still maintained tools for DOS programming? Back in the days I used DJGPP with Allegro, they worked well but as far as I see the latest Allegro no longer supports DOS.

I'm not yet sure if I want to develop on the actual vintage machine, maybe I should use emulator for testing, does dosbox work well for this purpose or should I go for machine virtualization?

Also if you have any programming resources regarding to this era everything is welcome, I found Michael Abrash's book about mode x and it has been excellent.

Just use a Virtual Machine and install FreeDOS 1.3.
The latter ships with DJGCC, OpenWatcom, FreePascal, NASM and more and all in a working condition right from its package manager fdimples.

So why should you go to the trouble of looking for things all one by one on the Internet when it's so easy to install FreeDOS in a virtual machine or a real retro computer?

You will need the Live CD and don't forget the Bonus CD, it does have some stuff for programmers:
https://www.freedos.org/download/

Reply 21 of 21, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Exploit wrote on 2023-11-13, 14:08:
Just use a Virtual Machine and install FreeDOS 1.3. The latter ships with DJGCC, OpenWatcom, FreePascal, NASM and more and all i […]
Show full quote

Just use a Virtual Machine and install FreeDOS 1.3.
The latter ships with DJGCC, OpenWatcom, FreePascal, NASM and more and all in a working condition right from its package manager fdimples.

So why should you go to the trouble of looking for things all one by one on the Internet when it's so easy to install FreeDOS in a virtual machine or a real retro computer?

You will need the Live CD and don't forget the Bonus CD, it does have some stuff for programmers:
https://www.freedos.org/download/

freedos really comes with a lot now! i havent tried it for many years, maybe time to try again!

doublebuffer wrote on 2023-07-08, 09:52:

Back in the days I used DJGPP with Allegro, they worked well but as far as I see the latest Allegro no longer supports DOS.

Even though the latest allegro isnt supported in DOS allegro 4.2.n with djgpp in DOS is about as advanced as a regular DOS library needs to be though, if its the vga standard that's being targeted

( couple of links from similar thread: Re: Which old programming languages do you still use/play with today-> )