VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by MaximRecoil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-07-15, 00:33:

Have you set PnP OS in BIOS?
AUto for IRQ?

There is no setting for PnP anything in the BIOS. As for IRQ, if you're talking about the BIOS there's no setting for that either. If you're talking about Windows, then it set the IRQs automatically.

Reply 21 of 24, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah I don't think you've got PnP support in a 486 with 30 pin simm, so....
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/694324/3com … ?page=29#manual

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 24, by MaximRecoil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-15, 04:12:

Yah I don't think you've got PnP support in a 486 with 30 pin simm, so....
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/694324/3com … ?page=29#manual

I already did that when I was running Windows 95, which I mentioned here. I'm running Windows 98 now on that PC and there are no more problems with vanishing NICs and/or sound cards or anything else. The problem I'm having now is completely different, i.e., it won't restart, but it shuts down fine. It's the exact same problem that some people in this thread from 2001 were having. It's the only thing I could find searching the internet about my specific issue; every other result was about hanging on shutdown (which mine doesn't do) rather than hanging on restart.

Reply 23 of 24, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaximRecoil wrote on 2023-07-15, 01:11:
Nexxen wrote on 2023-07-15, 00:33:

Have you set PnP OS in BIOS?
AUto for IRQ?

There is no setting for PnP anything in the BIOS. As for IRQ, if you're talking about the BIOS there's no setting for that either. If you're talking about Windows, then it set the IRQs automatically.

I totally forgot, my bad.
Mistakes are made... like this.

You could try reinstalling W98 on another HDD to check if it wasn't just a corrupted file.
Might be faster than pinpointing the real problem.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 24 of 24, by MaximRecoil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-07-15, 10:09:

You could try reinstalling W98 on another HDD to check if it wasn't just a corrupted file.
Might be faster than pinpointing the real problem.

I originally installed 98Lite because normal Windows 98 is slow on a 66 MHz 486 PC. It worked great; navigation was as fast or faster than Windows 95 on the same PC (I selected the option to replace 98's bloated, web-integrated Explorer with the standard Explorer from Windows 95, which is what makes most of the difference). The only problem I had with its refusal to restart.

In order to find out whether or not the restart problem was caused by 98Lite modifications, I formatted C: and installed the normal, full Windows 98 SE, and it had the exact same restart problem as 98Lite did. Then I formatted again and installed the normal, full Windows 98 FE, and it had the same restart problem as SE. However, I tried one of the common suggestions for Windown 98 shutdown/restart problems, which is to disable fast shutdown (msconfig.exe > general tab > advanced), and that actually worked, which is surprising because disabling fast shutdown did not fix the restart problem on 98 SE.

So for now everything is working perfectly. Disabling fast shutdown solved the restart problem in 98 FE and neither version of Windows 98 has had the vanishing NIC and/or sound card issue that Windows 95 had on my PC.