VOGONS

First post, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone tried this?

They host updates for Win95, Win98, WinNT with Windows 2000 in the works.

Their home page is: http://windowsupdaterestored.com/
How to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWa_tlC-3I

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/07/windo … -updates-again/

If you have any interest in retro-computing, you know it can be difficult to round up the last official bug fixes and updates available for early Internet-era versions of Windows like 95, 98, and NT 4.0. A new independent project called "Windows Update Restored" is aiming to fix that, hosting lightly modified versions of old Windows Update sites and the update files themselves so that fresh installs of these old operating systems can grab years' worth of fixes that aren't present on old install CDs and disks.

These old versions of Windows relied primarily on a Windows Update web app to function rather than built-in updaters like the ones used in current Windows versions. Microsoft took down the version of the site that could scan and update Windows 95 and 98 sometime in mid-2011. The Windows Update Restored site is a lightly modified version of Microsoft's original code, and the site itself doesn't use any kind of SSL or TLS encryption, so ancient Internet Explorer versions can still access it without modification.

You'll need at least Internet Explorer 5 to access the Windows Update Restored update sites; that browser is no longer available directly from Microsoft, but the Windows Update Restored site offers download links to IE5 and IE5.5 in all supported languages.

Reply 2 of 14, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice! I always preferred to get the official updates without any third-party cruft that usually comes with those unofficial "Service Packs".

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2023-07-10, 19:29. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 14, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's cool even if there is no practicle use. I mean it would be cool if we can make win9x a daily driver like some in the community tried to up untill around 2010. Back then if you added all of the unofficial service packs, kernel EX, revolutions pack and 98se2ME, on a fast enough system it was barely usable. Now forget it.

Reply 4 of 14, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like that someone bothered with this, but I don't see a ton of value in this. I don't typically patch my win9x machine as it doesn't touch any networks. But if I wanted it to be patched, I have a CD from 2004 from Microsoft that should do the trick. Maybe if people were still doing win9x LAN parties, I'd think about it.

Reply 5 of 14, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-07-10, 18:27:

You'll need at least Internet Explorer 5 to access the Windows Update Restored update sites; that browser is no longer available directly from Microsoft, but the Windows Update Restored site offers download links to IE5 and IE5.5 in all supported languages.[/i]

Those files were ~500KB online installation setup files, not the full-sized offline package. Where can it download individual components from?

Reply 6 of 14, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smtkr wrote on 2023-07-11, 00:40:

I like that someone bothered with this, but I don't see a ton of value in this. I don't typically patch my win9x machine as it doesn't touch any networks. But if I wanted it to be patched, I have a CD from 2004 from Microsoft that should do the trick. Maybe if people were still doing win9x LAN parties, I'd think about it.

I see some value with this. The Windows Security Update CD from 2004 is only for Windows 98 up to and including Windows XP and even then, it doesn't have all the updates.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 14, by arnovdheiden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really welcome this site, because it was something I miss after installing a windows 98SE from scratch. I wonder if they provide the Dutch windows update packages. I think it wouldnt be helpful to install english updates for a dutch OS, because english words will appear everywhere.
I downloaded the update packages for the dutch windows 98 SE some time ago, and I wonder if i can help these guys to integrate them in this new website.

Reply 9 of 14, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robbbert wrote on 2023-07-11, 12:53:

That's great that someone's recognised the need for sites like this.

The video also mentions legacyupdate.net which is directed more to w2k, xp and vista.

I suppose there might be more as well.

Windows Update can still be used with those operating systems: Using Windows Update on 2000, XP, Vista in 2022

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 10 of 14, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried windowsupdaterestored with 2 win98 machines but without success.

First machine just went to the "try again" page. There was no attempt to launch the active-x process. The 2nd machine wanted to download a VBScript module from Microsoft, but of course all those downloads have been killed off ages ago. If I told it to not worry about that, firstly a very bodgy certificate was presented (which I accepted), followed by the "try again" page.

Then, while I was still using the 2nd machine I happened to click on the normal "Windows Update" option that exists in IE6, and to my surprise, the Microsoft site opened up. But because the Active-X still didn't appear, it got stuck on the "checking your computer" page.

Reply 13 of 14, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried a few computers with the latest version of the site, with varying results. As usual there was the various prompts about untrusted certificates and so on.

1. XP SP3 - it all seemed to work, it said there were no updates for me.

2. W2K SP4 - it said it had 8 updates, but when I went to download them it showed the download/install dialog and nothing happened. After 15 minutes I gave up.

3. Win98SE - no change from my previous post.

4. NT 4.0 SP6a - This actually worked, although downloads were exceedingly slow, taking about half an hour per megabyte. The update called "SVG" errored and failed. 3 of the recommended updates were rejected. I had most of the other stuff already, but the remainder that I had chosen went in successfully. I used v3.

Reply 14 of 14, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some of the updates from their discord channel:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need your help!
Windows Update v2 has been fixed, but some updates are very hard to find. We need your help to properly find them. If you find any, send it in ⁠windows-update-v2 .

Here are the missing updates:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/ … 478E56006CC.exe
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/ … 54EDD898127.CAB

Those updates are for Windows 98FE.
Thank you for your help !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
||@everyone ||

# Windows Update v3.1 is working again!

Windows Update v3.1 should now be working again, but be aware that it still contains bugs. I'll also remind you that Windows Update v2 is currently only compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 First Edition (English) and Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0.

**Missing inventories and updates**
We are still missing inventories for Windows Update v3 and v2. Also, some updates are missing on v2 (see my previous message in this channel). Please read #WhatWeNeed to provide us the files we need.

**The Windows Update Catalog is working again!**
The Windows Update Catalog from Windows Update v4 is now working again thanks to @WinFX ! You can download updates manually for all systems supported by the v4 website.

http://www.windowsupdaterestored.com