VOGONS

First post, by 16ShadesOfOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has probably been asked a million times but I can't find the right search terms...

Is it possible to have sound in Win3.1 and its MS-DOS subsystem/prompt?

I vaguely remember back in the dark ages that if I wanted to play MS-DOS games with sound from within Win3.1, I had to run Win3.1 without sound card drivers (or exit to MS-DOS).

My goal here is to have audio in win3.1 (like MIDI, WAV) and use it as a launcher for MS-DOS games which also use the sound card.

Am I doing it wrong? Any recent developments in this ?

💻 Toshiba T5200 info
💻 Toshiba T3200SX info
💻 Toshiba T3200 info

Reply 2 of 5, by 16ShadesOfOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking at games like Biomenace, Keen, Monkey Island, Wolf3D. The classics. Maybe you'll have better luck @Robbbert ?

💻 Toshiba T5200 info
💻 Toshiba T3200SX info
💻 Toshiba T3200 info

Reply 3 of 5, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using Windows for Workgroups 3.11, but apart from the networking facility it's much the same as Windows 3.1 .

Tried Wolf3D, Duke Nukem 1 and 2, crystal caves, secret agent man and some other early Apogee games, and they all worked with sound from within windows. Also tried Hocus Focus, but the keyboard stopped working although the music played.

It's not actually recommended to play DOS games from within Windows because of possible instabilities and slowdowns. Using Windows 98SE is a *much* better proposition. Despite that, there's lots of DOS games that do work well inside Windows 3.1 .

Make sure to set your BLASTER variable inside your autoexec.bat, and (at least in theory) you shouldn't have any problem.

Reply 4 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you've got a Pro Audio Spectrum 16, then merely the native part is being under Windows control by the supplied driver.
The optional Soumd Blaster emulation for legacy software isn't being affected, afaik.
And OPL3 can be manually controlled by DOS applications, Windows (Voyetra driver) and Windows applications.

In essence, it's like with 32-Bit OS/2. You've got two separate DACs/ADCs.
One for OS/2 and one for Win-OS/2 environment.

Speaking of.. There's a GENAUD driver for Win-OS/2, because there's a similar issue in sharing the sound devices under OS/2.
Maybe it works with real Windows 3.1, too, not sure.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by 16ShadesOfOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers guys I'll do more testing in a few days, sounds like it's possible which is awesome!

💻 Toshiba T5200 info
💻 Toshiba T3200SX info
💻 Toshiba T3200 info