VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Theres somethings about 2.2 that I like. Very low resource. It doesn't consume any most of the time. Adds all the features I need. Works with basically any wheel mouse.

What I didn't like is that it replaces the msmouse.vxd driver and optionally the vmouse.vxd driver in 98se with a older version despite that it doesn't need to. Other thing is it installs the version 11 ms mouse driver, where I prefer 8.2 for compatibility and 9.01 for speed.

After spending about a week trying to fix it, I managed to repack Intellipoint 2.2c. Replaced the msmouse.vxd and vmouse.vxd files from 98se. and Replaced the MOUSE.EXE 11 to the mouse.EXE driver from 9.01.

Also I removed all the animated cursers and curser theme its adds to windows because I dislike all those too.

Not sure how much intrest there is with somthing like this but I like it. Its an upgrade to windows 98se and adds wheel support for games.

Attachments

Last edited by Warlord on 2023-08-05, 20:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sounds interesting but where is the repack?
it is always nice to just have the useful things installed and ditch the clutter without effort

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

version 1

Features
Doesn't downgrade msmouse.vxd keeps 98se version
Downgrades MOUSE.EXE to 9.01
Doesn't add curser themes or animated cursers.

Version 2

Features
Reduced size of file so it will fit on a single floppy disk
Default install Directory is now C:\MSMOUSE instead of program files\microsoft hardware (makes working with dos more friendly)
Doesn't downgrade msmouse.vxd keeps 98se version (It will rename whatever msmouse.vxd file is in the system directory and copy the 98se vanilla msmouse.vxd there)
Downgrades DOS MOUSE.EXE from 11.00 to 9.01 (lower memory req still same speed improvments in games)
Removed all languages except for english (less bloat)
Removed Creation of TIPS (unnecessary file at this point no one should need to be tought to use a mouse)
Removed Tray ICON (clicking mouse in control panel no longer loads the tray icon less bloat less cpu overhead)
Compressed File using normal ZIP compression instead of 7z

Added Link to Freewheel. Can be used with.

Attachments

• Filename
    freewheel.zip
    File size
    141.63 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    IP22RPv2.zip
    File size
    1.15 MiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    ipoint2.2repackver1.7z
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license
Last edited by Warlord on 2023-08-04, 19:21. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks, will add it in my "98se things to install after format" package 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 15, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2023-08-04, 06:39:

What I didn't like is that it replaces the msmouse.vxd driver and optionally the vmouse.vxd driver in 98se with an older version despite that it doesn't need to. Other thing is it installs the version 11 ms mouse driver, where I prefer 8.2 for compatibility and 9.01 for speed.

Nice work!

And for people who might not be aware of this, version 9 of the mouse driver bypasses a BIOS bug which causes mouse movement to slow down the entire system in pure DOS. More details here: Moving Mouse dramatically slows down CPU

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Version 2

This version settles just about all of my grievances. I would like to add the option of copying other MSDOS mouse drivers besides 9.01 to the directory on install but meh.

Features
Default install Directory is now C:\MSMOUSE instead of program files\microsoft hardware (makes working with dos more friendly)
Doesn't downgrade msmouse.vxd keeps 98se version (It will rename whatever msmouse.vxd file is in the system directory and copy the 98se vanilla msmouse.vxd there)
Downgrades DOS MOUSE.EXE from 11.00 to 9.01 (lower memory req still same speed improvments in games)
Removed Creation of TIPS (unnecessary file at this point no one should need to be tought to use a mouse)
Removed Tray ICON (clicking mouse in control panel no longer loads the tray icon less bloat less cpu overhead)
download/file.php?id=170101

Edit:
Added freewheel to the post above.
Added Screenshot to the 1st post. As you can see its working perfectly.

Reply 7 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any clue on what the "3D support" implies ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 15, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did download the intellimouse 2.2 driver from archive.org.
Finally have a working mouse wheel on my Windows 95 setup!

@Warlord I did try you're repack but it does not work on windows 95.
But thanks for the driver name I needed to search for a mouse with wheel driver!

Reply 9 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the feedback, I'll change the post for 98se only. This wont work on NT or 95. But the unmoddified driver will. Becasue I deleted the NT support to reduce the file size and it contains drivers from 98se that probably are not compatible with 95.

I'm working on the last version of this that will include freewheel, mouse.com from 8.20 in adition to the mouse driver already included for some variety. So there will be no need anymore for seperate downloads. In all in one.

Last edited by Warlord on 2023-08-05, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-08-05, 13:54:

I thought 98SE supported the wheel natively? Isn't this only needed on 95?

It only provides very basic wheel support for scrolling windows up and down. But it doesn't support the wheel button, universal scrolling, or hook 3dcontrols api. So in games that support those features it doesn't fully support.

However as it turns out that 98se core mouse.vxd and built in 3dcontrols are compatible with intellipoint2.2. but you need intellipoint to turn them on. Windows 2000 and XP came with these features by defualt.

Reply 11 of 15, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using Intellipoint 3.2 myself on Windows 95 and up (which includes a newer msmouse.vxd) . You say something about lower resources with Intellipoint 2.2c. What exactly did you measure in CPU and/or memory resources compared to other versions?

Reply 12 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3.2 is probably the best version. Well I know this sounds completly insane, but 3.2 It dosn't fit on a floppy and I wanted to see if I could and forwhatever reasons I wanted to use msmouse.vxd that shipped with windows, rather than to use an intelipoint version. I know it sounds dumb.

Also I believe 3.2 and higher require internet explorer to be installed. 3.2 will just update SHfolder to 5.5 but 4.0 will make you install ver 5.5. Which I don't like. I just want to use a mouse not browse the internet to do it. If youre running 3.2 on 95 chances are you installed IE. I don't run IE on my 95 computers, and on my 98se computers I prefer not to update it.

I guess everyone has their preferences. Originally I wasn't going to upload a file but it was requested.

Reply 13 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Version 3
Features
Default install Directory is now C:\MSMOUSE instead of program files\microsoft hardware (you can no longer change this)
Doesn't downgrade msmouse.vxd keeps 98se version (Fixed Issue of setup changing the date on the file even though the file was correct)
Added MSMOUSE 8.20 in addition to 9.01
Added Dos Mouse.INI
Added Free Wheel to the setup
Added Mouse Rate checker to check the polling rate of your Mouse
Added Ps2 Rate to allow users To overclock PS2 mouse for games.
Removed Readme file, and Supressed creation of Help file in start menu.
Added Shortcuts for free wheel, mouse info,Mouse Rate checker, and Ps2 Rate and mouse info.
Removed some unnecessary files.

Attachments

• floppy.jpg
    Filename
    floppy.jpg
    File size
    58.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • working.jpg
    Filename
    working.jpg
    File size
    138.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    Intellipoint 2.2X Ver3.zip
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license

Reply 15 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-08-08, 12:54:

how does the "lower" memory requirement of MOUSE.EXE 9.01 compare to CTMOUSE 1.91?

Its only lower memory than to ms mouse 11 that shiped with intellipoint 2.2. CT mouse isnt as compatible, its great when it works but it has bugs wits some games and programs and it doesn't look like it will ever be fixed.

Dont get me wrong I love ctmouse when I need it, but if I dont need it, becasue I'm not constraint on ram, I dont use it, its size is the only thing that makes it worth it.