VOGONS

First post, by ConvultedFool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day,

If the post is in the wrong section, please change it for me or advise. Now, to the ordeal.

This pundit model, with a celeron 2,8, the radeon 9100 pro igp, 512 of ram and the ad 1888 is, semi working. I tried it because it has vga/dvi/svideo/composite and a lot of options for sound, even spdif which is great for my amp, it also supports usb 1.1/2 which is nice as well for a lot of things. As an overkill dos machine for intensive late era dos and windows 95/98 games, its pretty decent.

However, I cant manage to get directx directdraw or direct3d actually working in full screen mode and a lot of games fail to change to 640x480 16b or 256 mode, windows 95/98 games dont want to run on it, at least those I tried. I did carma, mdk, broken sword and of course the father of all problems dark earth, this last one doesnt really matter, it has always been hell.

This is what I do in order: Install windows 98 SE. Install the sound card drivers, they work. Install usb storage drivers. Then comes the ati 9100 igp. The last ati all in one suite for windows 98 just doesnt want to run, it normally gives an error about not finding video drivers or not finding a card. The ati 6.2 drivers for windows98, install fine, the control panel is active, the card appears but it will simply not enter the mentioned resolution. I know this is in theory a directx 8.1 card. I tried in both 5.1 and 8.1. I also know that something might be up with the vesa drivers, windows through dvi detects my samsung monitor and installs a driver. The directdraw version it detects is 1.0. Even in directx 8.1b?

What Im am doing wrong? Software, hardware? What should I try to at least get working windows 95/98 games and dos games running from windows? The games I tried in full dos mode work, with problems sometimes in video playback I suppose due to the speed of the cpu but they do tend to work. Shadow warrior has corrupted pixels on start, half of the assets have an lcd fest going on, duke nukem on the other hand works perfectly but at least the version I have doesnt want to switch to anything above 800x600 but damn it runs smooth.

Should I try older drivers? Like ati 4.2 or something? Remember its an IGP. I dont have the asus support cd related to the pundit line, its not online. The South Bridge possibly has some driver problems as well. Depending on what I install in one order or the other, the dvi port always outputs in 1280x1024 even though the games are running in 800x600. Scaling I suppose. Im using DVI, didnt try svideo or vga yet.

Update: I brought back one of the pundits s line. Same case as R but as mentioned. AC 97 on the sis chip, agp sis 650 igp and this board, can actually underclock so, yeah. Will check this board out as well though I would like the ati board to simply work, the sound is great as with the image quality through dvi. If I can get this to work, this might be one of the best clean case solutions for dos/95/98. PCI, output ports for video and sound.