VOGONS

First post, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UEFI is give'ing me bad day's and head acke.
I have a new-ly built Dell Precision 5820 , and it won't boot into Win10 automatically after I finished with installation and evrything.
I can only access Win 10 Pro if I set the so called bios to Legacy , and during boot-up/post I press F12(select boot: UEFI > Main 1TB NVMe M.2 Pcie ssd Crucial P3).
If I select UEFI from bios and let it boot in UEFI mode , it says ,under a Blue Screen :

Inaccessible Boot Device

I tryed using OS to fix partition but did not help (under UEFI mode set from bios).
If I select/set main 1TB MVMe drive in Legacy , I get a :

No boot device found , press any key to reboot the machine...

The system use to be in Manufacturing mode , but I pressed alt + f and stupidly exited this mode , Now I don't know how to re-enter , at least in Manufacturing mode I could boot drive without having to select manually F12 > UEFI 1TB.

I tryed fixing with EasyBCD or some other form of Boot fix , or original files win-auto-fix , nothing helped (the above problem is persisting) .
I need help from a experienced user.

L.E. It seems UEFI Boot Mode , Secure boot ON ,. (gives me a blank screen - under testing this setting.)

Last edited by ediflorianUS on 2023-08-22, 08:28. Edited 1 time in total.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 1 of 17, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you install Windows from the USB flash drive?

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-22, 08:19:

Did you install Windows from the USB flash drive?

yes , did that make something mess-up? (I had no problems during installation , nor update , nor anything).

only at boot , I keep having to set Legacy , manually select F12>UEFI to win to load. nothing else works. (I want to be able to start win10 via buton not having to press F12 evry time).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 3 of 17, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try resetting the keys to default and try again.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB

Reply 4 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-22, 10:30:

keys? Like keyboard ?(elaborate pls)

Now it won't post. (after I set Boot to UEFI ,Secure boot ON) .... evrything seems ok inside the system ,CMOS Clr jumper did not reset the system.
Now what?

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 5 of 17, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-08-22, 10:58:
keys? Like keyboard ?(elaborate pls) […]
Show full quote

Now it won't post. (after I set Boot to UEFI ,Secure boot ON) .... evrything seems ok inside the system ,CMOS Clr jumper did not reset the system.
Now what?

No, the secure boot keys. Go to BIOS/UEFI and look for secure boot/UEFI option.

Duke_2600.png

Reply 6 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-22, 11:37:
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-08-22, 10:58:
keys? Like keyboard ?(elaborate pls) […]
Show full quote

Now what?

No, the secure boot keys. Go to BIOS/UEFI and look for secure boot/UEFI option.

I finally got it posting again to bios,
Are these the key's?

L.E. as soon as I Secure boot Uefi -on , screen go blank. no post.(v.hard to reset the CMOS).

Attachments

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 7 of 17, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems that it is set to default but there other options regarding the UEFI. Have you tried installing Linux like Ubuntu?

Duke_2600.png

Reply 8 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In almost all modern machines you cannot boot from an nvme drive in legacy bios mode.

Set it to uefi, boot from usb, and install in uefi mode.

Booting in one mode, installing the OS like that (windows or Linux) and then changing back to a different mode is a recipe for disaster. Every time.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 9 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, and we have lots of these at work (thousands of them), keep it all uefi mode - both Win 10 and modern Ubuntu versions should work fine.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 10 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it seems after I moved the Nvme down under the GPU (put that in first slot) , reseted bios a couple of times and it took the boot(set to UEFI+secure-off) sequence(no more inaccesable drive), now the NVMe speed is down to 800mb/s from 3300+ ,
L.E. Darn-it , moving it even further down 1 pcie slot did not fix the drive , just got a blue screen inaccesable drive again ... ,
then I seem to have managed to enter safe-mode w10p ,tested it and now is close to 3300mb/s , so it's all fine .

LE. 2
I remounted evrything as it was initially , after I run a Checkdisk.
-TUTORIAL , install WIN10Pro
-Update
-Set your UEFI to boot-from , secure off
-When it reboots a few times, saves
-After initial blue-screen - inaccesable drive , let it reboot
-Until you reach black screen (rebooted 2 many times + F8 options)
-Load Safe mode , run checkdisk
-Run sfc /scannow
-reboot. *you should be ok (no more inaccesable drive error's)

However MVMe speed still lower than initial bench (not sure why , lost over 200m/s)

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 11 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tutorial adition , never ever do what I did : update the NVMe driver while your system is not broken(Os). (I was trying to figure how the system had 300mb/s less on drive as speed loss - spoiler alert was from bios settings + drivers)
this https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/0001 … ith-nvme-drives gave me a headacke ,
it stoped win from accesing the 1tb drive.
L.E. I had to move the drive around (diffrent PCIe slot) in order to access it again.(hard thing) - this UEFI is worse than using a l8te 1970's system.
L.E. 2 , Now I lost the turbo function after moveing the NVMe under the GPU (4th slot).... darn dell...

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 12 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

after Win10 update > Security Update For Ms Win (KB5031356) and Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5030649) +
Servicing stack 10.0.19041.3562 -

Dell / game (& everything) slowed down . (I so hate w10).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 13 of 17, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everything is correct. You need the storage in GPT for UEFI booting to work. Convert the primary storage without losing data. I done this few times in past.

What you are trying is you are missing a requirement that SSD or hard drive has to be in GPT instead of MBR for UEFI to work.

Boot the win 10 in legacy mode. Enter into windows powershell (admin) and type without quotes: "MBR2GPT /convert /allowFullOS".
Once done, please wait till it saying successful. Power off PC.

Power on, get into BIOS first. Turn UEFI on and go to the boot section and point the UEFI to the start partition on the storage drive. Save and let PC reboot. It should start up the windows this time. UEFI is also very good and more secure towards boot malware stuff.

GPT is also best one to have as it has multiple data tables in different locations instead of one MBR.

You can set one partition or separate storage drive (hd or ssd) aside for MBR but this is not required as you are not booting 32 bits OS or booting XP 32bits or windows 7 32 bits.

NVME SSD is on your southbridge chipset PCIe lanes, hence the slow down. Look up on your motherboard's manual what PCIe slots is set aside to what CPU and chipset.

Slots you can use depends on your processor, and second there *are* many i7 and xeon CPUs that is crippled on PCIe lanes. Like 24 lanes instead of full 40 lanes. What is your processor?

Card slots
Features Specifications
Type PCIe Gen 3
Slot configuration
for Xeon W and
Core i9X CPUs
• 2 PCIe x 16
• 1 PCIe x 16 wired as x8
• 1 PCIe x 16 wired as x4
• 1 PCIe x 16 wired as x1
• 1 PCI 32/33
Slot configuration
for Core i7X CPUs • 1x PCIe x16
• 1x PCIe x8
• 1x PCIe x4
• 1x PCIe x1
• Slot 1 is not active in this configuration

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 14 of 17, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Second page on what slots are actually connected to what. And I'm correct about crippled lanes on some processors:

You need NVME on x4 lanes PCIe. That's slot 5. The slot 3 is PCIe x1, if the NVME card plugged into this, this will slow down.

PCIe slots
The PCIe slots on Precision 5820 have a different functionality depending on the processor installed. Core i7-78xx has a limit of 28 lanes.
This results in a reduced PCIe lane count to the slots 1 and 4 as shown in the following table:
• Slot 1 is closest to CPU/memory complex.
Table 25. PCIe slots
Core i9-79xx/Xeon Core i7-78xx
Slot 1 PCIe x8 50W Nonfunctional

Core i9-79xx/Xeon Core i7-78xx
Slot 2 PCIe x16 300 W* PCIe x16 300 W
Slot 3 PCIe x1 25W-PCH PCIe x1 25W-PCH
Slot 4 PCIe x16 300 W* PCIe x8 150W
Slot 5 PCIe x4 25W-PCH PCIe x4 25W-PCH
Slot 6 PCI 32 bit 25 W PCI 32 bit 25 W

NOTE: All slots are Gen3(8GTs) from processor root hub unless otherwise indicated xX indicates the number of lanes
that are connected to the slot. FH=Full Height, FL=Full Length, DW=Double Wide as defined by PCIe CEM spec *Slots
are 300 W capable. Limited to 250 W per slot when more than one MEGA is installed.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-16, 23:26:
Everything is correct. You need the storage in GPT for UEFI booting to work. Convert the primary storage without losing data […]
Show full quote

Everything is correct. You need the storage in GPT for UEFI booting to work. Convert the primary storage without losing data. I done this few times in past.

What you are trying is you are missing a requirement that SSD or hard drive has to be in GPT instead of MBR for UEFI to work.

Boot the win 10 in legacy mode. Enter into windows powershell (admin) and type without quotes: "MBR2GPT /convert /allowFullOS".
Once done, please wait till it saying successful. Power off PC.

Power on, get into BIOS first. Turn UEFI on and go to the boot section and point the UEFI to the start partition on the storage drive. Save and let PC reboot. It should start up the windows this time. UEFI is also very good and more secure towards boot malware stuff.

GPT is also best one to have as it has multiple data tables in different locations instead of one MBR.

You can set one partition or separate storage drive (hd or ssd) aside for MBR but this is not required as you are not booting 32 bits OS or booting XP 32bits or windows 7 32 bits.

NVME SSD is on your southbridge chipset PCIe lanes, hence the slow down. Look up on your motherboard's manual what PCIe slots is set aside to what CPU and chipset.

Slots you can use depends on your processor, and second there *are* many i7 and xeon CPUs that is crippled on PCIe lanes. Like 24 lanes instead of full 40 lanes. What is your processor?

Card slots
Features Specifications
Type PCIe Gen 3
Slot configuration
for Xeon W and
Core i9X CPUs
• 2 PCIe x 16
• 1 PCIe x 16 wired as x8
• 1 PCIe x 16 wired as x4
• 1 PCIe x 16 wired as x1
• 1 PCI 32/33
Slot configuration
for Core i7X CPUs • 1x PCIe x16
• 1x PCIe x8
• 1x PCIe x4
• 1x PCIe x1
• Slot 1 is not active in this configuration

Cheers,

It never was MBr... was GPT from the install start. Told you Dell Precision T5820(don't think it has south bridge , it's new tech...) with Xeon W2125 LGA 2066
- NVMe(chip and transformer is on pcie4x so it won't matter as much witch slot is plugged in , its a software issue - The new win10 update issue slowed everything down anyways after initially spending 3 days to optimize os.). is mounted on a 16x slot.(it only get's more +200mb/s speed if I mount it to first slot witch I can't ) system works now , Don't want to mess it up again.
MBR setting from bios not equal to MBR (part) settings on the SSD/drive , first is for reading drives second is for recognizing drive.

Here are the initial scores after finishing dell build.

Attachments

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 16 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scores before installing any special drivers from kingstone or anything
Scores on slot4 (pcie) - some bios intel function deactivated.
Scores on slot5 (pcie)

(and some initial PCMark8 scores before and after driver updates)

Attachments

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 17 of 17, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

and printscreen with last updates that slowed everything down....
I will also trow in a current test for comparison.

Attachments

My 80486-S i66 Project