VOGONS

SwapIRQ

Topic actions

First post, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The little DOS tool SwapIRQ has been mentioned a few times on this forum, not least for getting PCI sound cards working in DOS when you don't have any BIOS control of IRQ allocations. My case is exactly the same as described in this thread: Problems with a YMF754 inside a Toshiba Tecra 8200 - a Toshiba Tectra 8200 with onboard Yamaha DS-XG sound which can be initialised with DOS drivers, but is apparently hard-wired to IRQ 11, which can't be used in many/any DOS games.

The SwapIRQ tool was clearly designed as shareware, and there is a two-stage nag process when running it ("Do you want to print a prepared order form? Y/N" as well as "This is a 30 day trial -please acknowledge"). It is archived in a few places online as versions 1.0 and 1.1, e.g. https://www.sac.sk/files.php?d=3&l=S and the ZIP includes details of how to pay etc.

It is a super useful tool for me, so clearly I would have been willing to pay! However, the developer seems long gone, and there is no trace of them for very many years indeed. So, I guess quite literally abandoned-ware?

So, does anyone know how it would have originally been activated when you could pay? Would you have got a floppy in the mail with a replacement executable? Or would there have been some kind of activation code or hidden command line switch or something that you would have been told about, to stop the nag messages when running it? And obviously, can anyone help with archived copies of whatever the purchased version was?

Or maybe there is some other free or non-nagging tool that can accomplish swapping/re-routing IRQs under DOS?

Reply 1 of 5, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried ymfirq.exe found inside the zip file in the section "YMF724/744/754 patched dos driver for SiS63x/73x/745 or later chipset users" which you can download at vsyncmame

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 5, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stretch wrote on 2023-08-23, 10:55:

Have you tried ymfirq.exe found inside the zip file in the section "YMF724/744/754 patched dos driver for SiS63x/73x/745 or later chipset users" which you can download at vsyncmame

I hadn't known about that - but I've tried it now. Unfortunately I get an error when I try to run it:

YMF744 detected
error

Which isn't very promising! Any ideas?

I've had to use the ICH2 modified version of SETUPDS to get DOS audio working at all, but I get the same error whether I use that version of SETUPDS, or the version that came with the SiS modified version.

This Yamaha sound chip seems a real pain!

Reply 4 of 5, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dontbugster wrote on 2023-08-26, 15:28:

Have you tried pciset utility? It does set some IRQ by itself

Another tool I wasn't aware of!

I've downloaded it, but it looks super technical - low-level register editing. The included notes (at least the English version) don't talk about IRQs directly, and I haven't had much luck finding other notes online. Any pointers?

Reply 5 of 5, by dontbugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
justin1985 wrote on 2023-08-26, 16:36:
dontbugster wrote on 2023-08-26, 15:28:

Have you tried pciset utility? It does set some IRQ by itself

Another tool I wasn't aware of!

I've downloaded it, but it looks super technical - low-level register editing. The included notes (at least the English version) don't talk about IRQs directly, and I haven't had much luck finding other notes online. Any pointers?

I guess it's mostly about knowing at low level how the card chip works.