VOGONS

First post, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if it has been covered before but I always have an absolute nightmare formatting the hdd in the Windows 98 setup environment. It often hangs and only if I'm lucky will it fully format it.

What I do everytime now is use an IDE - USb adapter, plug it into my windows 10 laptop and format using Disk Manager.
Fat32 -Quick Format. I don't assign the drive a letter and I mark the partition active. I have wasted hours of my life watching win98 try and format my disks..
Hope this helps someone.

Reply 1 of 3, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 10 (or any Windows with NT 6 kernel) would add hidden components like System Volume Information folder onto your HDD. IMHO use Windows XP (NT 5.1) instead if you need to manipulate a Win9x HDD on a (semi-)modern computer.

And what's the capacity of your HDD with trouble formatting?

Reply 2 of 3, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2023-08-25, 20:29:

Windows 10 (or any Windows with NT 6 kernel) would add hidden components like System Volume Information folder onto your HDD. IMHO use Windows XP (NT 5.1) instead if you need to manipulate a Win9x HDD on a (semi-)modern computer.

And what's the capacity of your HDD with trouble formatting?

That's what I thought but, I have no issues so far with this method. I have a feeling it maybe because I am not using the boot floppy to format? May have something to do with it. No idea. One is 10gb the other is 80gb. For the 80gb I've changed the size to 32gb. The 80gb is brand new, old school IDE.

Reply 3 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is an updated FDISK that should work properly with HDD that has more than 64GB in capacity, search for 263044usa8.exe or the equivalent depending on the language.

Any FAT32 partition equal or smaller than 64GB should work without issues with the FDISK included with the Windows 98 SE CD-ROM or boot disk.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS