VOGONS

Cleaning CDs

Topic actions

First post, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a few CDs that I would like to clean, and I'm not sure what to use to clean them without doing any damage to them.
What would you use and recommend to clean your CDs?

Reply 2 of 12, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to use tap water and try to wipe along the radius of the CDROM. Of course it won't fix any damges. But remember having a slot in drive that ran anything.. was it pinoneer perhaps. Loud as hell, probably 50x or something.

Reply 4 of 12, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use those alcohol wet wipes meant for glasses and such. Works a treat.

Toothpaste is for removing (smaller) scratches, not for cleaning. ...and use the stuff with the scrubbing particles in it. The gel does nothing.

Reply 6 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2023-09-03, 20:57:

Doesn't everyone use iso alcohol for this? Use a cloth that doesn't shed fluff.

70% isopropyl alcohol (no camphor) and toilet paper is my goto cleaning kit .

The paper I use does not shed much fluff .

Reply 7 of 12, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elszgensa wrote on 2023-09-03, 21:14:

Toothpaste is for removing (smaller) scratches, not for cleaning. ...and use the stuff with the scrubbing particles in it. The gel does nothing.

I remember being told to use toothpaste also, but I'd treat it as a desperation move and image (and burn onto a CD-R for day to day use) your disc ASAP...

Reply 8 of 12, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about scratch removal? Is there a separate post for that? We're well past the twilight for fixing scratched CDs and I was wondering what the best home method was. Is there a suggested cleaning device?

Reply 9 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't use toothpaste its abrasive and will ruin your CDs. The over the counter ISO alcohol leaves behind a residue and Most dish soaps leave behind a residue. However you can just mix some distilled water and over the counter ISO alcohol and add a couple squirts of jet dry to a spray bottle and this will prevent leaving residue. spray the cds with that and use a new microfibre towle to clean. In a seperate spray bottle just used distilled water, then rinse the cd with the distilled water. Then let it air dry.

I use this to clean my records but it will work for cds too. Dont use the edger just use the microfibre edgers are for records.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIXC6bKScIo

I used to use simple Green and just warm tap water, then just pat the cd dry with a paper towl this work well but I only use it for severe situations.

Reply 10 of 12, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2023-09-04, 14:47:

Don't use toothpaste its abrasive and will ruin your CDs.

Yep, toothpaste is suitable for polishing of tiny scratches, not for cleaning.

The over the counter ISO alcohol leaves behind a residue and Most dish soaps leave behind a residue. However you can just mix some distilled water and over the counter ISO alcohol and add a couple squirts of jet dry to a spray bottle and this will prevent leaving residue.

But isn't this "Jet Dry" some kind of dish washing liquid/soap?

I used to use simple Green and just warm tap water, then just pat the cd dry with a paper towl this work well but I only use it for severe situations.

Do you know what's the equivalent of this "Simple Green" cleaner in Europe or what's the approximate chemical composition?

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 11 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-09-06, 03:54:

But isn't this "Jet Dry" some kind of dish washing liquid/soap?

no its a drying agent.

analog_programmer wrote on 2023-09-06, 03:54:

Do you know what's the equivalent of this "Simple Green" cleaner in Europe or what's the approximate chemical composition?

It's distributed in UK and northern Ireland it seems. Maybe you can order it from a distributer from UK. I use the concentrated version, its a good degreaser as well.

Reply 12 of 12, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the additional info, Warlord! I think I figured out what substitutes available in the eu I can use instead of "Jet Dry" and "Simple Green".

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"