VOGONS

First post, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I just bought Mi1 and 2 special edt. on GOG and tried to build the talkie edition for DOS.
Both games starts fine and I do get music(tried both Adlig and Mt-32) but I get no speech.

Tried everything I can think of but can't seem to solve it.
Seems some people have had trouble with the game freezing due to mouse driver versions, but can't find anyone with the same problem with the "missing" speech.

I've tried disabling L2 cache on my P3 with setmul but that doesn't help either.
I've also tried cycling through the settings with ctrl + t (only text, only speech, text + speech)

Have anyone had the same problem, or am I missing something obvious? 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nizce wrote on 2023-09-04, 23:51:

Seems some people have had trouble with the game freezing due to mouse driver versions, but can't find anyone with the same problem with the "missing" speech.

Yea, I figured out that that system had stability issues, so I don't know if it was in fact the mouse drivers (probably not).

kolderman wrote on 2023-09-05, 00:16:

What sound card? You nay need something much slower than a p3. Swap it with a via c3 and use setmul to make it as slow as 386

I think the talkie edition isn't speed sensitive.

What about trying to specify the sound card parameters with the monkey.exe executable. Run "monkey /?" and it shows you how to specify your sound card ports. Also, do you have the sound variables set? Which sound card do you have? Are you running this in DOS or in a Windows command window?

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 3 of 7, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2023-09-05, 02:42:
Yea, I figured out that that system had stability issues, so I don't know if it was in fact the mouse drivers (probably not). […]
Show full quote
nizce wrote on 2023-09-04, 23:51:

Yea, I figured out that that system had stability issues, so I don't know if it was in fact the mouse drivers (probably not).

kolderman wrote on 2023-09-05, 00:16:

What sound card? You nay need something much slower than a p3. Swap it with a via c3 and use setmul to make it as slow as 386

I think the talkie edition isn't speed sensitive.

What about trying to specify the sound card parameters with the monkey.exe executable. Run "monkey /?" and it shows you how to specify your sound card ports. Also, do you have the sound variables set? Which sound card do you have? Are you running this in DOS or in a Windows command window?

Im running in pure DOS 7.1.
I’m running a AWE32(CT3900) and a PicoGUS(in MOU-401 mode connected to a mt32-pi).
The AWE32 uses adress 220, IRQ7 and DMA 3&5
The picogus uses adress 240 and 330(MPU-401), IRQ5 and DMA 1

Tried different parameters ex.
1. Monkey.exe r1 - this results in mt-32 music but no speech.

2. Monkey.exe s220/7/8 - this results in garbled music, but efter disabling L2 cache with setmul the music works find. But no speech.

3. Also tried Monkey.exe r1 s220/7/8 - this results in mt-32 music but still ni speech.

I guess the third option is the one that should be used if I want mt-32 music + speech, and that option 2 should work since it only uses the SoundBlaster and manage to produce music in my case.

I also have the same issue with monkey island 2 ultimate talkie.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I can add that both sound cards works, ex duke nukem 3d works with SFX set to the AWE32 and music set to the picogus/mpu-401.

Reply 5 of 7, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
carlostex wrote on 2023-09-05, 22:42:

The ultimate talkie might be hardcoded to use DMA 1 for speech.

Sound Blaster should be using DMA 1, GUS can use High DMA 7 and it will be fine 99.9% of the time.

Thanks, i’ll try chansning the SB to DMA 1.
Can only set picoGUS to either DMA 1 or 3 so I’ll try changing it to 3.

Reply 6 of 7, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
carlostex wrote on 2023-09-05, 22:42:

The ultimate talkie might be hardcoded to use DMA 1 for speech.

Sound Blaster should be using DMA 1, GUS can use High DMA 7 and it will be fine 99.9% of the time.

Thank you, I now have mt-32 music and working speech !
Swapping the picogus and the SB DMA worked! So monkey island needs the SB to be on DMA 1 to get speech working as you suspected 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nizce wrote on 2023-09-06, 15:16:

Can only set picoGUS to either DMA 1 or 3 so I’ll try changing it to 3.

Well, yeah, the PI is sitting on a 8 bit bus interface so no access to high IRQ and DMA. That sucks.