VOGONS

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heya,

I just realized, here is an interesting question I don't know the answer to:

What was the first ever DOS game, that

a) ran at a VGA 320x200 resolution, so 70Hz. (i.e. not Mode-X which was only 60hz), and
b) implemented hardware-based EGA/VGA scrolling (i.e. relied on the IBM graphics adapter's hardware feature instead of doing full screen repaints)
c) was programmed with the skill and sophistication needed that the game actually reached 70fps on hardware of the era, without dropping frames, missing vsyncs or needing to run with frame decimation?

Before jumping to answer, no, it was not Keen 4-6 or Jazz Jackrabbit.

Keen 4-6 was unable to do 70fps, and it was programmed to run limited at 35 fps, and was rendering totally decoupled from vertical retrace (and they botched implementing the vertical synchronization).

Jazz Jackrabbit is excluded, since it was "only" 60 Hz. (Yeah, in this case I am interested in who might have specifically done a 70 Hz smooth scroller first)

I realize that I can't actually name the answer. So, any thoughts who would have shipped the first 70 Hz running 320x200 VGA hardware scroller? (or if not first, what would the notable ones be?)

Reply 2 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first thoughts were:
- Tubular Worlds
- the RSD Gamemaker games (smooth scrolling but.... everything else isn't)

I'm quite certain they were 320x200 @70hz using VGA panning.

I think Beverly Hills Cop had smooth scrolling too but that's more EGA. It used to have severe emulation problems for it

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some early ones with smooth VGA scrolling:

- Prophecy: Viking Child (1990)
- Supaplex (1991)
- Battlestorm (1991)

...although I've never looked into the specifics; the first one may not be purely hardware (the scrolled portion is much smaller than the total frame size, for one, so it may not count in terms of what you're looking for). I do believe Supaplex was intended to run at 35 Hz, and the 70 Hz rate was more of an accident on 386+; the game first does its calcs, then waits for vsync to scroll, so the framerate is doubled on any machine that can manage the first part in less than one frame.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 5, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another one to mention is Super Silverbrothers, by Ken Silverman. According to his website, the game was made in 1991 and features smooth scrolling (70fps), possibly also on a 386.

The available files are timestamped 1992 and later. The main source (SIBROS.C), timestamped 1999, has this comment:

//SIBROS.C was: 34,645 07-17-93 12:38p until 1999 (fixed panning code)

Looking at what appears to be the heart of the panning code (the function "startaddress"), it does seem to take synchronization into account. The game also feels smooth while running it under emulation. The 320x200 mode uses a refresh rate close t0 70Hz, while for 360x240 it's closer to 60Hz. The 640x400 mode looks broken to me, but otherwise operates at ~70Hz.

Reply 5 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileR wrote on 2023-09-10, 02:00:

I do believe Supaplex was intended to run at 35 Hz, and the 70 Hz rate was more of an accident on 386+; the game first does its calcs, then waits for vsync to scroll, so the framerate is doubled on any machine that can manage the first part in less than one frame.

It's not really clear what Supaplex was actually intended for, though. If I remember correctly, it uses VGA color programmability, but actually runs in mode 0D (320x200 at 16 colors) and is EGA compatible, so it might also be targeted to 30Hz or 60Hz. But actually, Supaplex is a PC port for an Amiga game made by British developers, so it likely actually was targeted to the "PAL" field rate of 50fps, and people were just happy the PC port would work at all...