VOGONS

First post, by PSYDUCK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I Cut my teeth on Windows 95/98 when I started fiddling with computers when I was 12 but I didn't touch networking until XP - for the fun of it I want to add a NIC to one of my retro machines to use a locally hosted FTP Server and to mess around with a few old BBS's. I've setup a new VLAN on my Firewall and it's basically ready to go - except now I've gotta get Windows 98 to play nice with a NIC.

I've dug through my shed, found a suitable NIC and Installed it - however I'm just getting the below error:

Screenshot 2023-09-24 102311.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-09-24 102311.png
File size
8.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

IIRC 1F6 (The error code) is the Range of memory it wants to use however I've found my IDE Controller is using that range - this is my theory for why I'm getting the error message:

2.png
Filename
2.png
File size
8.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

To confirm I've tried a few driver versions with no dice. Any tips on getting this to work or should I try another NIC?

Reply 1 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try unchecking "use automatic setting" and use a different a preset that uses a different memory range.

Otherwise, you might be able to change the default range using the card's configuration utility (usually a DOS executable bundled with the drivers).

Reply 3 of 7, by PSYDUCK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disabling of 'use automatic setting' and using a non-conflicting range allowed me to enable the NIC, Windows was saying it was working OK but Could not get any Driver details - I forced updated the driver and rebooted and now I am getting a message on the below popup:

4.png
Filename
4.png
File size
2.25 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Checking with winipcfg and it's not too happy.

5.png
Filename
5.png
File size
1.26 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I checked the stack to make sure TCP/IP is installed

6.png
Filename
6.png
File size
5.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Lastly, Can't ping 127.0.0.1:

7.png
Filename
7.png
File size
7.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I uninstalled all Communications components, restarted, reinstalled, restarted same problem. Last ditch effort Windows reinstall, the drivers I was using did not include an application to modify the memory range and at this stage, I only have transport of files via Floppy disk as my ext cd burner has gone walkabout. If the windows reinstall does not work, then I'll find a cd burner to use the package giantclam linked.

I Appreciate everyones help and I'll report back.

Reply 4 of 7, by PSYDUCK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reinstall accomplished nothing - burnt basically every driver pack I could find and went through them on by one, cannot find any reference to a tool that can change the working memory range. Also found an Intel Install that basically says to disable PnP and Manually configure, however my BIOS is fairly basic - whilst I can disable PnP there isn't too much I can do about manually configuring the card.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 183728.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-09-26 183728.png
File size
77.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 6 of 7, by PSYDUCK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only PROSet application I found was a Windows application for reporting on the state of the NIC - It never actually detected it. I did find a Diag DOS Executable which DID detect the NIC but said it could not be loaded due to a memory conflict.

Reply 7 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe try disabling what what you suspect is the conflicting hardware and remove/disabling as much of the hw as posdible. Thentry running the proset util from a bootable floppy to set the range you want . Then reenable everything.