VOGONS

First post, by batmreload

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get wfw working, but setup freezes randomly. Tried to use an install that I allready had working on my 486,
but after starting, I get the dreaded MAIN.GRP is invalid or corrupt.

So far I've tried this on 2 systems:

Sis 530 chipset K6/2 500mhz machine, 128mb of ram, 20 gig disk (Ms-dos installed on 2.0gb partition)
440bx- descendant mobo (Abit Bx5, iirc) Pentium 3 500mhz , 256mb memory, 2gb ms-dos partition on another 20gb disk.

Anyone have any pointers? Maybe the cpu's are too fast?

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! May I ask which version of DOS you're running?
As far as I know, Windows 3.1x likes MS-DOS 3.x to 6.22 most. PC-DOS, too.

Also, did you run SmartDrive? It should give some more abstraction to HDD access, maybe.
Windows 9x Setup even tries to load it automatic.

If that's not gonna work, you can try using a separate HDD driver for Windows 3.x.
The MicroHouse driver is okay, it can handle media up to 8GB.
http://win31.de/edrivers.htm

Also make sure that the VFAT and SHARE stuff isn't being loaded high in the DOS startup files.
WfW 3.11 uses Virtual FAT, but without long filenames.

Maybe it's also a memory issue. MemMaker might be able to help.
Or use QEMM 7 or better. 386-Max is worth a try, too, since a file of it is being part of Windows..

Anyway, these are just some ideas. I hope that the others have some, as well. 🙂

batmreload wrote on 2023-09-30, 15:50:

Anyone have any pointers? Maybe the cpu's are too fast?

Unlikely, Windows 3.x is very forgiving here.
But still, you can try running Windows 3.1 in Standard-Mode (WIN /S). It should never fail.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Faster CPUs should never have problems with Windows 3.x.

How do you have set the 2GB partition on the 20GB HDD? FAT or FAT32? 32-bit file access enabled?

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 6, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a perfectly working installation on a 500MHz Celeron. I didn't set it up though, it came on a random hard drive that I acquired. All I had to do was install networking drivers, TCP/IP, video and sound drivers - the usual stuff when using different hardware.

Reply 4 of 6, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use WfW 3.11 as a daily driver in a P3 800MHz. Never had any persistent problems. Use MS-DOS 6.22 and modified 7.10 with FAT32. Using even UMBPCI and HIRAM and never had any problems. Windows 3.1x is speed and memory friendly all the way.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 6, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to be perverse, I tried my HD in a HP DX2000, which runs at 2.8GHz. After disabling the drivers for incompatible hardware, it started up ok.

So I don't think speed is going to be a problem - more likely is the hardware.