VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like this screen saver, but it has a check for Windows XP will not run on new versions of Windows such as Windows XP x64. Is there any known patch to make it work on newer OSes?

Attachments

• 3D Windows XP.jpg
    Filename
    3D Windows XP.jpg
    File size
    85.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not set up to test this right now, so this is completely blind, but... Assuming your .scr file is 1634304 bytes, open it in a hex editor, go to offset 0x4827 and change it from 0x74 to 0xeb. That should ignore the result of the OS check at least. Other thing may still be broken later on, no idea.

Anyways. XP x86 to x64 isn't much of a jump so should work fine, but the later the OS the higher the likelihood of having changed/added screensaver API details, so even if a saver appears to work it might not actually keep your session safe. Caveat emptor.

Reply 2 of 7, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elszgensa wrote on 2023-10-03, 11:15:

I'm not set up to test this right now, so this is completely blind, but... Assuming your .scr file is 1634304 bytes, open it in a hex editor, go to offset 0x4827 and change it from 0x74 to 0xeb. That should ignore the result of the OS check at least. Other thing may still be broken later on, no idea.

Anyways. XP x86 to x64 isn't much of a jump so should work fine, but the later the OS the higher the likelihood of having changed/added screensaver API details, so even if a saver appears to work it might not actually keep your session safe. Caveat emptor.

That did the trick, it even works on Windows 11!

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 7, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a copy of the patched 3D Windows XP.scr screen saver.

Attachments

• Filename
    3D Windows XP (Patched).zip
    File size
    410.78 KiB
    Downloads
    82 downloads
    File comment
    3D Windows XP screen saver patched to skip OS check
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice work! I've been searching for years for a way to get this cool screensaver to work in other Windows OSes but was unsuccessful. I tried renaming it to EXE then using MS Application Compatibility Toolkit applying various tweaks but no luck.

jasa1063 wrote on 2023-10-04, 00:04:

Thanks for the patched screensaver. The original 3D XP Screensaver can still be downloaded from Microsoft.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/whist … 3DwindowsXP.exe

Ironic since MS has bleached all things XP from its website.

Reply 7 of 7, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Norton Commander wrote on 2023-10-04, 16:38:
Nice work! I've been searching for years for a way to get this cool screensaver to work in other Windows OSes but was unsuccess […]
Show full quote

Nice work! I've been searching for years for a way to get this cool screensaver to work in other Windows OSes but was unsuccessful. I tried renaming it to EXE then using MS Application Compatibility Toolkit applying various tweaks but no luck.

jasa1063 wrote on 2023-10-04, 00:04:

Thanks for the patched screensaver. The original 3D XP Screensaver can still be downloaded from Microsoft.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/whist … 3DwindowsXP.exe

Ironic since MS has bleached all things XP from its website.

There is a whole lot of irony when it comes to Microsoft on so many fronts:)