First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha!
Look what I've found!

D5BiDqh.jpg

If I saw this in the early 90s, as a kid, I'd have gone nuts and craved it!

Comments? Any of you tried it? Did it run also DOS games? What about Windows? Could it run on that?

By the way, since it mentions "minicomputer" (worth $100,000 at that time!), I always wondered... Why would what seemed to be the most powerful computers on Earth be called "minicomputer"?? I'd have called them maxicomputer or megacomputer or something like that... "mini" sounds so reductive!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remember that the computer on your desk was originally called a 'micro computer' ... then the term 'mini computer' makes a lot more sense for large format systems sitting between the desktop and the mainframe.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 6, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-10-09, 21:01:

Remember that the computer on your desk was originally called a 'micro computer' ... then the term 'mini computer' makes a lot more sense for large format systems sitting between the desktop and the mainframe.

Oh I see! I didn't know that! Now it makes sense.
Then, I wonder how a "mainframe" would look like... I'll look it up!

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Todays computers are microcomputers, they're using microprocessors.
Likewisey, Microsoft likely was a play on Microcomputer Software.

A minicomputer is generally bigger, with the size of a desktop or wardrobe.

A mainframe originally was the size of a wall, a room or a floor (think of HAL9000 from 2001 film).
Edit: Or MU.TH.UR 6000/"mother" from Alien (1979).

Nowadays, a mainframe can be a high-performance computer, too, though.
Like a high-end server in a server room.

Because, terms change their meaning over time.
A CPU used to be a device, housed in a large metal box. That was in the 1960s or so. Nowadays it's a synonym for a microchip.

Some people with an outdated 90s era vocabulary still call a PC tower chassis "the CPU".

The i386 was once called a "mainframe on a chip", due to its advanced abilities.
Protected-Mode, Virtual Address Space, Paging etc.
That was in the 80s, when PC/MOS was new.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-09, 21:50:
Todays computers are microcomputers, they're using microprocessors. Likewisey, Microsoft likely was a play on Microcomputer Sof […]
Show full quote

Todays computers are microcomputers, they're using microprocessors.
Likewisey, Microsoft likely was a play on Microcomputer Software.

A minicomputer is generally bigger, with the size of a desktop or wardrobe.

A mainframe originally was the size of a wall, a room or a floor (think of HAL9000 from 2001 film).
Edit: Or MU.TH.UR 6000/"mother" from Alien (1979).

Nowadays, a mainframe can be a high-performance computer, too, though.
Like a high-end server in a server room.

Because, terms change their meaning over time.
A CPU used to be a device, housed in a large metal box. That was in the 1960s or so. Nowadays it's a synonym for a microchip.

Some people with an outdated 90s era vocabulary still call a PC tower chassis "the CPU".

The i386 was once called a "mainframe on a chip", due to its advanced abilities.
Protected-Mode, Virtual Address Space, Paging etc.
That was in the 80s, when PC/MOS was new.

Got it, thanks.

Yes indeed! I noticed some people (usually 50 yo or older) calling computer cases "the CPU"!

Reply 5 of 6, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played around with it a few years ago when it got open-sourced (https://github.com/roelandjansen/pcmos386v501), I don't remember much about it now apart from it using Borland C++ 3.1 (I think)!

https://virtuallyfun.com/2011/02/02/pc-mos386/ has a bit of information about it, and some of the comments on the article are from one of the original authors.

Reply 6 of 6, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doshea wrote on 2023-10-10, 22:30:

I played around with it a few years ago when it got open-sourced (https://github.com/roelandjansen/pcmos386v501), I don't remember much about it now apart from it using Borland C++ 3.1 (I think)!

https://virtuallyfun.com/2011/02/02/pc-mos386/ has a bit of information about it, and some of the comments on the article are from one of the original authors.

Interesting... Thank you!