VOGONS

First post, by Manjushri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people,
I have some hard time making Outook express working on 486 Windows 95 Machine.
I have made all the settings for Outlook (smtp addr., pop3 addr. ports, user, passwords etc.) but for some reason i get this 0x800CCC1A error.
I have searched the internet but all i find is that i have setup the ports incorectly, which is not true...
What do you think guys? I have attached a screenshot.

PS: I managed to make the 486 machine to have internet + lan, and i can ping any sites from it.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

it's most likely a problem with the SSL/TLS version. Recently support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 has been dropped by many providers (I myself was forced to upgrade Thunderbird from version 1.5 to 24.8.1 last year because of this, as 24.8.1 was the first version to support TLS 1.2)
If AOL also requires TLS 1.2 or 1.3 then that would be the reason why OE can't connect anymore.

Reply 2 of 5, by Manjushri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for fast reply.
I understand now. I think this could be bypassed by some proxy but its too complicated.
I will just have to say pass on anything related to internet browsing or mail capabilities for such old machines.
I'm still happy i've managed to make a lan connection with my windows 11 machine! It's such a time saving operation, i can transfer anything i want now without burning cds or diskettes, even with 300-500Kb/s transfer rate.

Reply 3 of 5, by Geon106

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Funnily enough today I tried setting up Outlook 2002 with GMX using settings I know previously worked and same issue.

I have a bunch of old machines I want to receive email, mostly just to correspond with friends. I like the idea of typing on either a Thinkpad or iMac G3. Either way it's a throwaway email with nothing sensitive.

Does anyone know any email providers that do still work or any proxy settings to set up?

1993:A500
1997:Apricot MS540|P/166|16M|Rage3D 2M
2000:PB 9533|P3/533|128M|Voodoo3 2000 16M
'04:P4/3G|1GB|NVIDIA 5700 256M
'07:AMDX2/3.2Ghz|4GB|8800 GTX
'11:i5 2500k|16G|AMD 7950
'16:i5 6600k|16G|NVIDIA 1080|SB AE-5
'21:5900X|32GB|6800XT|SB AE-5

Reply 4 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know how much it phones home, or whether you are trying to use an MSN or Outlook account with it, but MS just broke a load of stuff and forced Win 10 users onto latest Outlook so there are changes at the Microsoft end since the beginning of October. If you have local or other mail server then older info may help you out, but if trying to do anything involving MS servers, or fully up to date local Microsoft server, then you might need info from 2023.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 5, by Manjushri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Geon106 wrote on 2023-10-11, 16:41:

Funnily enough today I tried setting up Outlook 2002 with GMX using settings I know previously worked and same issue.

I have a bunch of old machines I want to receive email, mostly just to correspond with friends. I like the idea of typing on either a Thinkpad or iMac G3. Either way it's a throwaway email with nothing sensitive.

Does anyone know any email providers that do still work or any proxy settings to set up?

I think this website that i have found will help you if you want to setup a proxy ( wich i found a little confusing): https://joewein.net/blog/2018/07/04/outlook-e … d-ssl-protocol/

In the near future i will create my own mail server with smtp and have it working on Win. 3.1 and 95!