VOGONS

First post, by another_808286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I understand, the most recent arache versions (https://www.glennmcc.org/arachne/) are provided either optimised for a 387 system, or general purpose one for the 8086. I have a 286 system with an FPU and am curious to see if there would be much of a performance difference using the FPU and maybe taking advantage of a few of the instructions available on the 286 but not 8086. The sourcecode is available but I don't see a clear way to compile it for 287 and I was wondering if anybody has experience with doing this in the past or may know of how to do it. I can understand a certain amount of code, but don't really know stuff like the structure of large multi-file codebases, so I am a bit confused by Arachne's code.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi. I had a similar problem last year.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 3, by another_808286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-13, 05:14:

Hi. I had a similar problem last year.

Ah, this is great, I see someone went ahead and recompiled the files:) Vielen Dank!

I notice the one who recompiled said that they weren't sure if the TCP/IP stack still worked, did you find that out?